Tires for RTV 900?

LS248

Hi All -

My wife bought me an RTV 900 Camo with Carlisle 25x12x12 tires for Chrismas and the tires are worthless in the snow. I need to purchase new tires and rims. I have read the info on this forum and people seem to use the ITP 589s. My first question is: Since there are 12" wide tires on front and rear now, is that what I should order - or should I get a narrower tire for the front? My second question is: Should I go with stock 25" or change to 26"? My third question is: What about the ITPR (radial) Mud Lites - does anybody recommend them? A friend of mine has them on a Polaris Ranger and they ride good in mud and snow. I also had ITP Mud Lites on a Honda Foreman and they worked good but rode rough. The RTV 900 with new tires will be used primarily for pulling an 8' lime spreader and top dressing food plots as well as for some trail riding. Thanks for any help you could give me.

Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi LS248 and welcome! I have had several pairs of tires and sizes. I had OEM Worksite 25" with which I got stuck a lot in the mud here on the farm. Then if memory serves correctly, I got the mudlite xr (or could have been xl) they developed knots on front but only after being well worn, Then the set of xtr radials 27" which set very low with 20 psi in the rear. They developed bulges within a year and were replaced under warranty. Finally, as of now I have the 589's 26" and really like them . no problems I got the nice grippers narrow in front( 9")to avoid rubbing and have none .All the tires I bought after the oems I took off were ( front 9" ,11" rear. I think the 26" are plenty big and will stick with that size in the future.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I have 26x12-12 BX tires and rims all the way around and the fronts rub on the springs, mud guards and back of fender wheels on the front. Backs are fine. I had to remove the mud flap mounts to get more room and am happy as the flotation is great and traction real good. No heavy duty mud experience but great for snow plowing.
I had 26x12-12 ITP Mud Lights on the front as a test on the bx rims and they did not rub anywhere. Their more rounded profile gave just enough clearance and the front and no problem for the rear if you went that way. These should have been my first choice for all 4 corners as I really like them as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1081a.jpg
    IMG_1081a.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1134a.jpg
    IMG_1134a.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 410

DocGP

I have the 27.5 589's and they are grreat. Not issues so far, but they do take a bit off the top end. I will probably go 26's next time.

No bulging or anything yet, but only about 75 hrs on them so far, and no cold weather (SE Texas).

Doc

LS248

Thanks for the information. I have decided to go with 26" 589s, 9" in front, 11" in back. Is there a supplier anyone would recommend?

Again, I appreciate the help.

Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Got mine from All Terrain Online .com
They are some super people over there !!!
Matter of fact, I purchase much from them, winches , tires, rims etc .....

........... two guns

P.S.
Go with the 26 inchers >>>>
I have got 27's, but the 26 will do just as good. My next willl be 26's >>>>>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think you will be pleased with the 589's- Now consider using Slime -most members love it.Super wally world sells it by the gallon for less than $30 . I used a gallon on my set but ask Two Guns how much he uses!. More than I but can't remember exactly. That is some good stuff if you have big thorns etc. Good Luck and enjoy those tires. With all this weird weather you're sure gonna need 'em. Bordercollie

DocGP

Another vote for Allterrain Online. I drove out and picked up an order of stuff from them, and have had an order shipped. Real nice guy, mom and pop business that I will definitely do business with again.

Doc

Pinnacle

OK, a few questions gents if I may. Long time lurker, but recently joined after several years of owning my 2006 900, and am now in the midst of numerous "improvements" all of which have been gained from all your welcome, open info sharing :D.

As regards the ITP 589 M/S, and in going to 26" have any of you put these on the stock RTV wheels ? Specifically, and as suggested, I would be looking at 26x12x12 for the rears on the stock wheels, and the 26x9x12 for the fronts as that is what is offered. Was hoping to do this without having to buy new wheels. Please let me know if any have done this ?

In addition to changing the tires out, I also have been intending to install the 2" lift which should also avoid all issues with wheel rub, even if not present without the lift. Any added height is greatly appreciated in the thick woods.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Pinnacle!!

If you don't mind, give us a ballpark of where you live so we have your weather and terrain conditions in mind as we give our thoughts.

OK, I seemed to have misplaced my tire sizing hat so I'm shooting from the hip here. Others will chime in and correct me as needed. The middle number of the tire size is the rim width. A standard RTV rim is 10" and has a 25x10x12 tire. In general, it's best to stay with that same width but there's some wiggle room so you can go up or down approx. 1". Therefore, you could go with 9" or 11" but 12" is a stretch.

I don't like running 589's all year. My RTV use is general purpose and will be used in all kinds of terrain. The 589's in wet conditions, particularly on lawns make some ruts.

I have a lift-kit on mine and in general, don't recommend it. My main beef is it raises the center-of-gravity which I don't appreciate when hauling wood on a trail that's pitched a bit.

Pinnacle

Welcome to the forum Pinnacle!!

If you don't mind, give us a ballpark of where you live so we have your weather and terrain conditions in mind as we give our thoughts.

OK, I seemed to have misplaced my tire sizing hat so I'm shooting from the hip here. Others will chime in and correct me as needed. The middle number of the tire size is the rim width. A standard RTV rim is 10" and has a 25x10x12 tire. In general, it's best to stay with that same width but there's some wiggle room so you can go up or down approx. 1". Therefore, you could go with 9" or 11" but 12" is a stretch.

I don't like running 589's all year. My RTV use is general purpose and will be used in all kinds of terrain. The 589's in wet conditions, particularly on lawns make some ruts.

I have a lift-kit on mine and in general, don't recommend it. My main beef is it raises the center-of-gravity which I don't appreciate when hauling wood on a trail that's pitched a bit.

Thanks BC. As for geographics, I am in N. Georgia, and had a busy winter here with more snow than in recent memory. The 900 did great, and I ended up plowing far more than I ever thought I would and that was done with a 3 point hitch system and blade mounted on the back of the 900. I did that set up for driveway maintenance mainly, with box scraper capability, but ended up using it for snow plowing with blade alone, and even on the county road so I could get out, as the county wont ever do it ! Since I have a stone drive, and woods here, and then heavy woods where I deer hunt, I am not as concerned about the 589's tearing things up. As for snow, could always throw chains on next winter if we got hit like we did this year.

As for the 589's and lift, valid point on the rise in COG as that is one question I have been curious about other's experience. As for the wheel widths, again valid point. In looking at 589's available on various sites, it seems they only offer the 26x9x12's which would work on the stock front wheels, but as you pointed out, I was more curious about the rears which in the 589's I am only seeing 26x12x12 available, hence why I asked for some reference.

I do see 26x11x12 available in the ITP Baja Cross and 26x10x12 in the ITP Mud Lite but really was hoping to go with the 589's all around on stock wheels but that may be questionable pending availability.

OR, I could just quit whinning and pony up for some new 12" wide wheels, and have two sets as needed.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There's lots of decent tires out there in a standard 25x10x12 that will fit on your OEM rims. 589's, 489's, mud-lites, Maxxis Bighorns (my preference) and others.

From your last statement, I don't think you'll squeeze 25x12x12's in the front without rubbing.

Pinnacle

There's lots of decent tires out there in a standard 25x10x12 that will fit on your OEM rims. 589's, 489's, mud-lites, Maxxis Bighorns (my preference) and others.

From your last statement, I don't think you'll squeeze 25x12x12's in the front without rubbing.

Tend to agree BC and why I was looking at 26"x9 up front, and 26x12 max rear but that requires new wheels when lloking at 12 rear. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated !

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PS. The lift-kit messes with your camber (or something like that). The tires pitch in. Just something to consider or be aware of.

Pinnacle

Again, fair point, and it would be camber that would changed for sure pending weight loaded. May also look at some Essex Surefoots, those look like some good tires with kevlar reinforcment which could be real nice , if not pricey.

LS248

Thank You

Just wanted to thank everybody that contributed to my research on the tires for my RTV 900. I got in touch with Robin at All Terrain Online, and I told him what I was going to do with the machine. He suggested 8-ply 26" Grim Reaper tires and ITP #7 aluminum rims. He was very helpful and very knowledgable. He said to say hi to all his friends on this site. Hope to post pictures, but I am computer-illiterate - so wish me luck. Again, thanks.

Dennis

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 234

DocGP

Hey brother, great minds think alike!!! Although mine are the 589's, I REALLY like the looks of those tires you have.

DSC_0203.jpg

Now to spend a bit more of your money :) get you a high rise air intake!!!

Very sweet looking buggy by the way!!

Doc

Mark.Sibole

Just found this post
I just ordered a set for my RTV
Hope they work well

Regards

Mark

PS they look very nice on your machine