Weather with RTV

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Man, now you guys/gal have got this down pat..... :chef:
I thought they were close but when they mentioned diet drinks, they lost some credibility IMHO. Make it the real stuff or a non-lite beer or tall glass of milk.

herman48

I know that January is not the time to talk about heat, but I came to Alabama in June 2013 after living 29 years in Alaska and, before Alaska, seven years in Northern Montana (with temperatures down to -50 in winter). The first two summers in Southern Alabama were godawful. I did nothing. I went nowhere unless I had to. My air conditioner and dehumidifier were running full blast and full time. When the temperature gets to 75 degrees I begin to suffer. The heat has been the main (maybe the only) reason why I bought an RTV. The a/c was the determining factor. I have not turned on the heater yet, so I hope that it works in case it should ever get cold, here.
I get a kick out of my neighbors wearing Carhartt coveralls and coats when it gets down to 50 degrees. I go out in my short pants and shirtsleeves. They think I am crazy...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
herman, Glad to have you here. You shoulda been here during Katrina... No power for many way north of the severe impact. We here had no power nor phone service except for the cell towers on generators, for 10 days. It was 93 in the main part of the house.. talking about sultry.... I did rig up a little window unit in one room and we ran the generator at night .. it stayed 72 in that little room and with 5 people sleeping on the floor etc... Then when the power came back on in Jackson, we shipped the teenaged kids to friends.
A/C is a nice feature of the RTV for sure. I have an all natural air flow one but still love my 2011 RTV. Don't know what I 'll do when I wear it out.( I love my particular model only)

herman48

herman, Glad to have you here. You shoulda been here during Katrina... No power for many way north of the severe impact. We here had no power nor phone service except for the cell towers on generators, for 10 days. It was 93 in the main part of the house.. talking about sultry.... I did rig up a little window unit in one room and we ran the generator at night .. it stayed 72 in that little room and with 5 people sleeping on the floor etc... Then when the power came back on in Jackson, we shipped the teenaged kids to friends.
A/C is a nice feature of the RTV for sure. I have an all natural air flow one but still love my 2011 RTV. Don't know what I 'll do when I wear it out.( I love my particular model only)
Thanks. Glad to be here. The South and southerners are fabulous. I love being able to hunt right where I live, and I guess the heat is just a four-month thing. 2/3 of the year are just perfect. And the LOW cost of living (45% less than where I used to live) is incredible. Our pensions (my wife and I were teachers) go a very long way here. I am planning to get a generator to keep a/c and freezer going if there is a prolonged power outage. So far we've been lucky; there have been only very short outages (from a second or two to less than a minute) even during severe thunderstorms. But I know that sooner or later... One scary thing around here is the ever present possibility of a tornado. However, people who have lived around here (north of Elba, on Hwy. 189) say that no tornado has ever touched down in this area. Well, where I lived we had frequent earthquakes. Once I enjoyed one of a 7.1 magnitude that lasted quite a long time, with some aftershocks. Fortunately there was no damage or casualties anywhere. And I hunted and fished in the midst of those huge Kodiak bears. Once one walked on my back porch, and another time one came within 20 yards of where I was butchering a deer by my house. Another time one came to my duck blind, and we had a long Mexican stand-off before he finally left. And I had another couple of close encounters with Old Ephraim, fortunately without any blood (mine or the bear's) spilled. So, all in all, Alabama is much less dangerous. No chance of freezing to death, no bears, no earthquakes. Just some tornadoes and a few venomous snakes. I am not afraid of snakes--my wife is. I already "saved" her from a timber rattler by the house with a well placed shotgun blast. And I played with a huge moccasin with my walking stick. He was coiled by my turkey blind and I tickled him with the stick until he lost his patience and left.