Weed Sprayer

Has anyone used a 12 Volt weed sprayer in the RTV 900? I will need one this spring and I will only use it a couple of time a year at most and would like one that has been proven to be reliable. I notice some are diaphram pumps and some are piston pumps. Probably a 25 Gallon tank would be more than enough with a hand held sprayer. Any input would be appreciated.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Will you be using the boom for spraying or just the hand wand?

We have some members that do a LOT of spraying so they can chime in but it sounds like your use would be similar to mine. I have a 25 gallon myself but it's the tow type so I normally use it behind an ATV.

To get you started, use the search function on the forum (top right hand corner of page) and do searches on any or all these keywords.
Fimco
herbicide
sprayer

G

Lots and lots of options. I like the ones from Demco or M&S spraying. Both are AG sprayer companies, so you can trust they will use a pump that can stand up to some of the more harsh chemicals.

ne-sd

I agree with Two Guns - Fimco. They have already set up units for what it sounds like you need. The biggest problem with sprayers is lack of maintenance when you only spray occasionally. I spray professionally and will spend about a 1/2 hour cleaning the pump(s) and lines after i'm done for the day. This is real important if you will be using Round-Up. If cleaned the pumps should last for years. I have used piston and diaphram and it don't seem like either has an advantage in small applications

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi CanyonCreekMT, Welcome aboard!! I spray a lot ! I would use an on demand sprayer pump with vitron seals . The size of your water tank will depend on how often you will need to fill up. For fence row spraying I use my old 25 g Fimco. I carry some spare water and extra round up when I have to go very far. I had rather do that than have spray left over.I also added a fuse to the 12v line {carry extra}. This is a real work saver. I clean and empty mine after use too also run anti freeze thru it in the fall. Bordercollie[&][&]

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Around on the farm, we use Round-Up Plus & 2-4D much !!!!</P>

On the fence rows, turn rows, and ditch patches, we spray with all Fimco units on UTV's & ATV's ...</P>

Since 2-4D is so devastating to cotton. Any sprayer that has had the 2-4D chemical run threw it. Will be rinsed out and flushedTWICE with Ammonia . That way, if just round-up getsput into the sprayer for use around cotton fields , and gets within range of a cotton field, it will not wipe out a good stand of cotton.... Even just left over films & fumes from the rinsed tanks with 2-4D will kill cotton stands ... </P>

And just like bordercollie stated, flush and keep anti-freeze in it during the off months >>>>></P>

Maintance is everything to any sprayer unit lasting !!!!! [:O]</P>

</P>

</P>

labaherd

I use a 20gallon pbm sprayer. Just put it in teh bed and off and running. has a hand wand and 2 other valves to be able to attach booms or what ever. This is what most offarmer use around me. if theycan't tear'em upI think it should last and the parts areall over. [H]

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I've been using Fimco sprayers for years, and 95% of things that messed up on them was human error, ( farm hands not paying attention ) , not the machines. Always have called upon Agri-Supply company ( 1-800-345-0169 ) for replacement parts, and they have always had them on hand, and was very fair price wise, and super fast on shipping... Many co-ops sells Fimco units, and they have all sizes avalible, but it really a comfort feeling that you can replace something tore-up quickly !!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Almost forgot , it just came back to me >>></P>

FarmTek ( Farmtek.com ) carries all kinds of Fimco sprayers at some super prices . </P>

Trailer, ATV, Spot, Boomless, sprayers, just about anything a person would want .... [:p]</P>