winch

green anchors

You guys are great!! The 12000lb is out, too many valid points against it. Kind of getting "jeep" fever with the pics.... nice. Love the idea of putting one on a hitch but I see myself not having it when I need it one day. Love to see the storage idea avantiguy. Also the power, I am thinking you wired a male/female plug set up on both ends of the RTV. I have read a lot of posts on tires, The oem atv tires look aggressive but did nothing for me that day. You could not see the mud just some water on top of the sod, as soon as we hit it this thing sank like a plow anchor. When I stepped off went to my knees. thinking I shouldn't expect a winch to get me out of that. I will look for a 5000lb and think about the options for mounting. My current 2000lb will go on the atv.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
avantguy... would like to see your RTV wiring set up and storage.

I'm easy, here they are.

Battery setup with contacts. The capped plug is for the extension cable that connects to the winch when it's installed on either end. Not in the picture is the plug for the winch control. It's installed in the plastic cover next to the rear roll bar. The smaller cable above the plug cable runs up to it.

100_1307_zps0a2bddcf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the relay mounted on the inside of the frame under the bed.

100_1309_zps9cb507ae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The winch is stored under the hood. I need to get rid of the rope and use a couple of bungee cords but it'll do until I buy them.

100_1310_zps17e1ff1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The extension cable and winch control live under the seat. If you need a reasonably priced source of extension cable, buy an inexpensive set of jumper cables.

100_1312_zpscd52b3b8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bob

PA Jeep

I have a hydraulic milemarker on my 1100. Works great pulled my rtv out of some bad situations, just need to use your head before a hard pull.

bigorange121

I had a Smittybuilt 10k with synthetic rope on a TJ. Worked every time I needed it and the synthetic line kept the weight down.

Attachments

• IMG_0875 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0875 (Medium).JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 158

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
This is my opinion !!!!
Just because it's a dozer or tractor, don't mean it going to be less strain on the stuck vehicle. Using a tractor, truck, or somebody else winching you to them, or you winching yourself out with YOUR winch. IT TAKES SO MUCH TO GET YOU OUT !!! As long as you are not hung up on a cypress stump, root, knee, rock or anything of that nature. You can't get to big of a winch. Might look like Donkey Kong on the front, but it will get you out. Don't don't like the way it looks in the front. Put it on a reciever hitch and remove until needed.
Weight of the winches. You have got a RTV. It's made to carry. A few extra pounds will not effect the RTV. No more than a sack of feed !!!!
Some times, if it's to bad. Best to pull out the way they went in.
Another note. Winches are made to pull !!!! Not to be pulled against. I have heard of many people using the winch line as a pulling chain. That is a big NO* NO !!!! You will destroy a winch by snatching on the cable. If Need to pull with another vehicle, use a chain. Don't use the winch line going to the winch.
Don't care what brand one gets, don't care if it's purple, pink, red , black, or what make . If you stick that RTV right down out deep, in the kind of mud we have down here. You
are going to need one hell of a winch, and a snatch block to help to pull your butt out. Now, just a little slick spot, where one cant' get not grip, or one just slid into a small ravine. As small winch of 3-5K will do, ( for a RTV ) but you get that big pumpkin in the ruts with all that gumbo. You better have you a big winch with a block. Vehicles weight is not the only factor. As we all know, it's mud, the suction of mud, all factors are against you when you down and sitting on the belly of a vehicle.
We have several brands of winches here. Some work slow, some fast. Some are geared lower than other, which I like a slow geared winch. They All work. Not proud of some warranties that we have run against. But in my opinion, you can not get to big of a winch.
Don't care what brand I have, either it be Warn, Ramsey,Chicago, Smittybuilt, Badland, or whatever. As long as it is big enough to do the job, and WORKS when needed. I am just as happy as a pig !!!!
Winching is extremely dangerous, and safety measures should always be taken!!!

.......... two guns

Attachments

• Oddsworld 20.jpg
    Oddsworld 20.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 151

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is great advice Two Guns. I trust you opinion completely, knowing how you are about your equipment and the large scale farming situations you encounter all the time, You are the "go to" for advice that I can depend on . I appreciate all the help you have given me in the past and it has never led me astray. :tiphat: :harley: collie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
That is great advice Two Guns. I trust you opinion completely ........... collie

Thanks for the kind words. That was just my opinion....
Talk like that will make me wear my "big head" tomorrow !!!!

Attachments

• Big Head Squirell.jpg
    Big Head Squirell.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 131

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
avantiguy:

Thanks for the winch set-up photos and captions. Looks like a good way to go. Winch there when you need it on either end of your RTV.

Keifer