X 1120 D Mud Tire help.

Johnny Gunz

Hunting season is coming up and I am in the market for a set of tires to help with traction in the mud. The OEM ATV tires are worthless in the mud. I have looked at the Maxxis Zillas, and they have good reviews, but only a 6 ply tire and I was worried about max weight load. Also, to gain a little ground clearance, I was thinking about turning up my shocks and running 27" tires. I was wondering if anyone has run 27" mud tires on their X series without clearance/HP loss? Any help/recommendations is appreciated.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Johnny Gunz. I have a 900 and love my Blackwater Evolutions. I use the 26 " 9 in front 11 in back. They are a good tire with sturdy sidewalls . They are also high pressure compared to other tires out there. Mine are labeled with a max of 32 on the fronts and 34 on the rears. Hard rubber and deep tread. I got my last set off of Amazon for 498 delivered and have had great performance out of them both- one set with over 1800 hrs before I ran over a big stob- on the cattle farm where I live and work- border collie edit to add http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16117&highlight=blackwater+evolutions

OrangeBuggy

Welcome to the forum. Can't really say what tires well work the best, but I'm going to try "Grim Reapers" for a all-around tire for myself. I agree, the stock OME ATV tires are pretty useless.

ovrszd

I also use ITP Blackwater Evolution. I run 27". I chose them for the 8 ply and weight rating. I frequently haul heavy loads. If you do also, study the load ratings of the various tires closely. Many of the ATV mud tires available are barely rated high enough to carry the empty RTV. I notice no power loss. Can now go in 2wd where I couldn't go in 4wd previously.

Johnny Gunz

I think if I go with a 2+5 offset wheel, I can squeeze 28x10 tire on it. I found this pic, and I'm almost positive it's a 28" tire. I'm also looking at the CST Wild Thang Tires. They are rated for 1100 lbs each.

Attachments

• blk00-1.jpg
    blk00-1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 228

ovrszd

You might get by.

Understand, the less backspace your wheel has, the more likely the front tire is to rub whem fully turned.

Less backspace minimizes the inside of the tire rubbing against the frame.

More backspace minimizes the outside of the tire rubbing against the fender.

ovrszd

I reread my post and that sounds confusing.

For clarification, less backspace moves the centerline of the tire outward. More backspace moves the centerline of tbe tire inward.

Johnny Gunz

Ohio, Its funny that you post that You Tube link. That is my RTV. I ended up going 27" Wildthangs with offset ITP black steel wheels.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
That is a really sharp set up Gunz - and I appreciated part two where you took it for a spin. That helped sell me on the 1120D.

Did the 28" tires change your speedometer any and do they rub?

jimso

Gunz, Are those rims the 2+5 offset? If they are do you think the 4+3 offset would clear with
the 27" tires? Thanks.

Johnny Gunz

They are indeed 2+5. I was told by Orange Aftermarket that 27" tires should be fine on factory wheel offset. I opted to go with more offset wheels purely for looks.

FTG-05

I also use ITP Blackwater Evolution. I run 27". I chose them for the 8 ply and weight rating. I frequently haul heavy loads. If you do also, study the load ratings of the various tires closely. Many of the ATV mud tires available are barely rated high enough to carry the empty RTV. I notice no power loss. Can now go in 2wd where I couldn't go in 4wd previously.

Yet once again, I am forced, yes FORCED, to agree with me Mr. Ovrwhateverhisnameis.

I too have the Blackwater Evolutions based mainly on recommendations from... yea you guessed it. Never disappointed. Go in 2wd where I won't take my L4330 in 4wd. (I don't think the 4wd works in my RTV, don't know why, but whatever).

ITP Blackwater Evolutions. From Robert or Roberta or whatever his name is over at AllTerrainAllTheTime.

ovrszd

Yet once again, I am forced, yes FORCED, to agree with me Mr. Ovrwhateverhisnameis.

I too have the Blackwater Evolutions based mainly on recommendations from... yea you guessed it. Never disappointed. Go in 2wd where I won't take my L4330 in 4wd. (I don't think the 4wd works in my RTV, don't know why, but whatever).

ITP Blackwater Evolutions. From Robert or Roberta or whatever his name is over at AllTerrainAllTheTime.

Don't ya hate that!!!!! :rolleyes: :)