X900 lose a power going up hill

WPWilson

I love my x900 but it will lose power and die if you don’t stop going up hill. I was wandering if anyone else had this problem.

Thanks for any help.

v10rick

Site Supporter
When this happens to me its caused by a clogged air filter.

Since I drive mostly on gravel road the fine dust will clog the filter.

Tapping the end of the filter on a hard surface is enough to dislodge the dust.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are you mashing the go-pedal to the floor when trying to climb hills?
When you start to bog down, let OFF the pedal to somewhere around the half-way mark. You'll hear the RPM's raise back up and you'll have more power.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I love my x900 but it will lose power and die if you don’t stop going up hill. I was wandering if anyone else had this problem.

Thanks for any help.

The “go” pedal…is not an “accelerator” such as in your car. That pedal controls the HST….which in-turn calls to the engine for the power it requires. If, when going up-hill the RTV begins to struggle…. mashing down on that “go pedal” will only Load the transmission even MORE….
It’s better to leave the pedal “as is”….or perhaps to “reduce” it slightly…. which relieves the load on the transmission…and progress will stabilize or improve.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
The engine should never die. The transmission may stall and no forward movement but engine should run on and on. I would suggest that if your fuel tank isn't full that you are running it out of fuel. Or a rag or something in the tank.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The engine should never die. The transmission may stall and no forward movement but engine should run on and on. I would suggest that if your fuel tank isn't full that you are running it out of fuel. Or a rag or something in the tank.
If overloaded by the HST the engine may indeed “die”. I’ve had that happen on several occasions when allowing a guest to be the driver while I was a passenger and they didn’t believe me to “let up on the pedal”.

WPWilson

Are you mashing the go-pedal to the floor when trying to climb hills?
When you start to bog down, let OFF the pedal to somewhere around the half-way mark. You'll hear the RPM's raise back up and you'll have more power.
Yes, that works