Equipment Trailer Weights

Dougster

Old Member
An oft repeated theme of compact equipment vendors at two recent construction shows in New England was that equipment trailers do not necessarily weigh what it says they weigh on their manufacturer's official load rating stickers. The equipment dealers are saying I should have it weighed ASAP as it may be a lot lower in weight than stickered. :eek:

Now this is the first I'd ever heard of this alleged "issue"... but it has a real and obvious impact on what a 3/4 ton pickup truck like mine can handle on its nominal 10K equipment trailer. In round numbers, my 20-foot equipment trailer supposedly weighs ~2,750 lbs and can therefore handle a net load of ~7,250 lbs. Since some of the equipment that I am looking at is in more like the ~7,300 to ~8,000 lb range, this issue of true trailer weight... if significantly lower in reality... opens up a lot more options to me. :rolleyes:

Is this just more BS from the sales folks... or is it a real issue? Has anyone out there weighed their equipment trailer and found it to be much lighter (or heavier) than manufacturer-stickered??? :confused:

Dougster :starbucks:

Doug,
Hook up the trailer and head over to the truck stop in Sturbridge MA. They have a CAT scale. That way you can find out for yourself. :pat:

Dougster

Old Member
Doug,
Hook up the trailer and head over to the truck stop in Sturbridge MA. They have a CAT scale. That way you can find out for yourself. :pat:
Much easier said than done right now with the trailer stored out back in the swamp and the pick-up truck currently set-up in full winter mode. :rolleyes:

Sure wish there was someplace a lot closer with a certified scale. :eek:

Hey Dougster!

It's not UNcommon for trailer manufacturers to "average", then round off weight to a nice even number. As an example, the Lawrimore 12,000gvwr trailer I just recently purchased. The "sticker" (nomencature plate) on the trailer says it weighs 2200lbs. The title says 2177lbs. I weighed it at a local truck stop a couple weeks ago. With spare tire ON and toolbox EMPTY, it weighed in at 2290. The toolbox is MAYBE 20lbs. Spare tire/wheel, MAYBE 75 (???) So, I'd guess the sticker and/or title were "close".

I'd venture a guess most manufacturers would estimate weights of all simular trailers, using one with all options as a "high water mark".

The ONLY way you'll know for certain is to put it on a scale!

It's always been MY practice to NEVER push the weight limits on a truck or trailer right up to their absolute limits. I like to factor in AT LEAST 15-20% saftey margin. "Over-Kill" is better than barely enough IMHO . Your results may vary.

Dougster

Old Member
Hey Dougster! It's not UNcommon for trailer manufacturers to "average", then round off weight to a nice even number. As an example, the Lawrimore 12,000gvwr trailer I just recently purchased. The "sticker" (nomencature plate) on the trailer says it weighs 2200lbs. The title says 2177lbs. I weighed it at a local truck stop a couple weeks ago. With spare tire ON and toolbox EMPTY, it weighed in at 2290. The toolbox is MAYBE 20lbs. Spare tire/wheel, MAYBE 75 (???) So, I'd guess the sticker and/or title were "close".

I'd venture a guess most manufacturers would estimate weights of all simular trailers, using one with all options as a "high water mark".

The ONLY way you'll know for certain is to put it on a scale!
Yep... that's for sure. But it sounds like you haven't encountered any gross discrepancies, and that's really what I'm asking about. I think these equipment sales folks are simply full of BS... just trying to convince me that I can legally tow their ~8,000 lb machine even though the numbers don't really add up to "at or under 10K" gross for my trailer. :rolleyes:
It's always been MY practice to NEVER push the weight limits on a truck or trailer right up to their absolute limits. I like to factor in AT LEAST 15-20% safety margin. "Over-Kill" is better than barely enough IMHO . Your results may vary.
I tend to agree. However, as you may recall, both of my nominal 10K trailers have been upgraded from 10K wheels and tires to 14K wheels and tires (for 4). Since the trailers themselves are essentially de-rated 12K trailers to begin with, I feel I have plenty of practical margin even if I don't have the legal (sticker) margin.

But the trailers are only half the problem. The other half is my truck. While I have upgraded my hitch to the strongest available hitch out there, the gasoline-engined 2500HD truck itself is still only rated for a 10K pull. And believe me... it is straining hard as I approach that number. :eek:

larryRB

Dougster said:

there is, off the Milford exit off 495 is a couple of van lines agents, they are on the same road as southworth milton the cat dealer,.,. all van lines against have scales.

Dougster

Old Member
there is, off the Milford exit off 495 is a couple of van lines agents, they are on the same road as southworth milton the cat dealer,.,. all van lines against have scales.
Thanks Larry. But the real issue for today remains gross discrepancies... and I'm getting the feeling this is an equipment salesman's standard scam. Tell folks their stickered trailer weights are way exaggerated so you can sell the fool a heavier machine. I think you know the reason. It expands your digging power a lot if you are talking an ~8,000 lb machine vs. a ~7,000 lb machine. In a mini-ex, the difference can easily be 40-60% more digging power if you can make the jump in class. It is hard to resist... especially when you are talking about nasty rock and stump removals. :rolleyes:

Thanks Larry. But the real issue for today remains gross discrepancies... and I'm getting the feeling this is an equipment salesman's standard scam. Tell folks their stickered trailer weights are way exaggerated so you can sell the fool a heavier machine. I think you know the reason. It expands your digging power a lot if you are talking an ~8,000 lb machine vs. a ~7,000 lb machine. In a mini-ex, the difference can easily be 40-60% more digging power if you can make the jump in class. It is hard to resist... especially when you are talking about nasty rock and stump removals. :rolleyes:

A salesman exagerating????:pat: Never heard of such a thing. :rolleyes: ATTENTION PLEASE! SARCASM ALERT :yum: :smartass: :yankchain:

Dougster

Old Member
A salesman exagerating????:pat: Never heard of such a thing. :rolleyes: ATTENTION PLEASE! SARCASM ALERT :yum: :smartass: :yankchain:
I know... I know... It should have been obvious. But after seven salesmen in a row gave me the same exact speech, I started to doubt myself. :eek:

This is the place to get the straight scoop! :thumb:

Bindian

Much easier said than done right now with the trailer stored out back in the swamp and the pick-up truck currently set-up in full winter mode. :rolleyes:

Dougster,
You don't need a certified scale to weigh it.:pat: Just fly at jet speed past any state trooper with the Red Beast on back and I am sure they will stop you and weigh it all for you. :yum::yum::yum::shitHitsFan:
Other than that, any scrap metal yard has a non-certified scale.:cool: Down here in the Grand Republic of Texas:respect:, empty weight isn't listed on the trailer, just the gross amount.:wink:
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, You don't need a certified scale to weigh it.:pat: Just fly at jet speed past any state trooper with the Red Beast on back and I am sure they will stop you and weigh it all for you. :yum::shitHitsFan: Other than that, any scrap metal yard has a non-certified scale. :cool: Down here in the Grand Republic of Texas:respect:, empty weight isn't listed on the trailer, just the gross amount.:wink:
hugs, Brandi
That's kinda strange about your manufacturer's trailer rating stickers down south. I thought the form of those trailer stickers was standardized and dictated by the Feds. :confused: Very odd. :confused:

The only scrap metal yard I know of is the old Edster's place... but that's way up in Backwoods, Maine!!! :yum:

And yes, I'm sure the state police would be MORE than willing to help me out in that regard. :rolleyes: :bangin:

That's kinda strange about your manufacturer's trailer rating stickers down south. I thought the form of those trailer stickers was standardized and dictated by the Feds. :confused: Very odd. :confused:

The only scrap metal yard I know of is the old Edster's place... but that's way up in Backwoods, Maine!!! :yum:

And yes, I'm sure the state police would be MORE than willing to help me out in that regard. :rolleyes: :bangin:

Dougster, MOST trailers I've owned DON'T list net weight on nomenclature plate/sticker. Only GVWR. The new one I just got happens to have it's empty weight on a seperate sticker for purposes of estimating total load weight while several are stacked together in transit. Net weight is NOT on V.I.N. plate, again, just GVWR. Once again, us SOUTHERNERS live the simple life without all the un-nessicary complications of you EAST COAST LIBERAL YANKEES:yum: :)sorry: I HAD to do that you realize?)

Bindian

Dougster,
Why would it be strange for it not to have empty weight on it? I mean, trailers haul stuff and can haul overweight.......thus DPS having permanent weigh stations and portable scales. But an over grossed emtpy trailer? :rolleyes: I can't see that. Maybe because it is a gooseneck, it is different. I don't know. I would think the empty weight would be just for the owner to know how much equipment he can haul. I do know that gooseneck horse trailers with living quarters don't have empty weights listed on the sticker. The salesmans don't know and it isn't published in the majority of the sales broucures. It just has to be weighed to find out. Is this just a Texas "thang"?:pat:
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, MOST trailers I've owned DON'T list net weight on nomenclature plate/sticker. Only GVWR. The new one I just got happens to have it's empty weight on a seperate sticker for purposes of estimating total load weight while several are stacked together in transit. Net weight is NOT on V.I.N. plate, again, just GVWR. Once again, us SOUTHERNERS live the simple life without all the un-nessicary complications of you EAST COAST LIBERAL YANKEES:yum: :)sorry: I HAD to do that you realize?)

Dougster,
Why would it be strange for it not to have empty weight on it? I mean, trailers haul stuff and can haul overweight.......thus DPS having permanent weigh stations and portable scales. But an over grossed emtpy trailer? :rolleyes: I can't see that. Maybe because it is a gooseneck, it is different. I don't know. I would think the empty weight would be just for the owner to know how much equipment he can haul. I do know that gooseneck horse trailers with living quarters don't have empty weights listed on the sticker. The salesmans don't know and it isn't published in the majority of the sales broucures. It just has to be weighed to find out. Is this just a Texas "thang"?
hugs, Brandi
Stop the presses everyone... News Flash:

The Dougster was wrong!!! :pat:

This is an absolute first!!! :eek: Never happened before... ever!!! :eek:

Really... honest... kinda sorta... :hide:

Dougster

Old Member
Now that the shock of being wrong has worn off enough for me to write again... the trailer manufacturer's weight in question... which I incorrectly thought was also stated on the trailer's sticker... is, in fact, only stated on the trailer manufacturer's statement of origin. It is this stated trailer weight that the equipment salesman have been challenging. I sincerely apologize for any confusion I caused... but I am cold, old and senile... and clearly should be forgiven. :eek:

It is this stated trailer weight that the equipment salesman have been challenging.

To which my standard reply would be, "OK, PROVE it".:smartass: :waiting:I wanna see SPECIFIC INSTANCES....Brands, models, and all. Not simply general unsubstanciated claims by salesmen who WON'T be there to back you up when you drive up on those portable scales for the DOT.

I may be from Kentucky, but I'm a firm believer in the official creedo of Missourians , "the SHOW ME STATE". :tiphat:

Dougster

Old Member
To which my standard reply would be, "OK, PROVE it".:smartass: :waiting:I wanna see SPECIFIC INSTANCES....Brands, models, and all. Not simply general unsubstanciated claims by salesmen who WON'T be there to back you up when you drive up on those portable scales for the DOT.

I may be from Kentucky, but I'm a firm believer in the official creedo of Missourians , "the SHOW ME STATE". :tiphat:
Well, I think you know the answer to that! ;) They can't!!! :rolleyes:

The folks here are right. First chance I get, I've got to get that equipment trailer to a scale. :eek:

There is no other way to get to the bottom of this. :cool: