Dashboard Retainer

rleonard

The flat space over the heater control is handy, but there is nothing to keep things placed there from vibrating off. I designed a fence to be attached containing the area. The part has a inside flange with screw holes, but double sided tape should be just fine. If there is sufficient interest I will print and offer them to the group. These are printed in carbon fiber reinforced polycarbonate. A premium material that is very tough.

Let me know what you think.

Before; Note the little USB charger port by the vent.

IMG_20231225_104710060.jpg

After;

IMG_20231225_104752239.jpg

I thought about putting a bottom liner of the the same material as used in toolboxes.

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nicely done. Looks great. I'd be interested. Thanks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thought about putting a bottom liner of the the same material as used in toolboxes.

Bob
That's the way to go IMHO. Keeps things from sliding all over.
I use that material on my passenger side seat so the dog doesn't fall to the floor, especially when descending hills.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Very nice! This has been on my "to think about list". If you do get into production I am interested as well. Tell us more about the USB port installation.

rleonard

The USB charging port is this;

Amazon link

There are several versions of this out there with different styles. It is the same "snap in" style into a 22.5x38mm (.866x1.5in) rectangular cutout. There is a flange that covers any cutting imperfections. I used a dremel tool with a cutting disc. There is a metal bracket behind so position the hole to avoid.

I will make these fences available. I'd like $40 which will include shipping. PM me and we can sort out the details.

Thank you,

Bob

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter

Amazon link

There are several versions of this out there with different styles. It is the same "snap in" style into a 22.5x38mm (.866x1.5in) rectangular cutout. There is a flange that covers any cutting imperfections. I used a dremel tool with a cutting disc. There is a metal bracket behind so position the hole to avoid.

I will make these fences available. I'd like $40 which will include shipping. PM me and we can sort out the details.

Thank you,

Bob
I'm nut sure my PM to you was actually sent. Not completely sure how this works. In any case let me know if you got my information - my reply shows up when I click on your logo but there is no way to be sure it was sent. Cheers and thanks

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter

Amazon link

Thank you,

Bob
Hi Bob, I did order the USB charging port and have quickly explored the area to put it. Where did you run the wires thru the firewall? A quick look hasn't produced an easy solution that I can see. Where you placed it makes the best sense. I have "hot" wires in the switch panel in the ceiling, but that is not the most convenient place. Thanks for your advice.

rleonard

I'm nut sure my PM to you was actually sent. Not completely sure how this works. In any case let me know if you got my information - my reply shows up when I click on your logo but there is no way to be sure it was sent. Cheers and thanks
There is no PM from you in my inbox or history. I'll PM you and see if it goes through.

rleonard

No wire through the firewall on this item. I ran a wire behind the defroster vent over to the light switch. I picked up +12V feeding the light switch. The current draw is minimal and is is a easy place to tap power. Finding a ground was another matter. There are metal parts behind the dash that are floating. Be sure to get a chassis ground.

Bob

rleonard

Agreed Dave. There are also those USB ports that plug right into a cigarette lighter socket. No installation needed at all. I wanted to keep it open for a spotlight or future use. Not for lighting a smoke though.

Smilingreen

I ordered one of rleonard's dashboard retainers and it is a perfect solution for the flat dash of the X1100C. We worth the $40.00. I highly recommend it.
Pictures. We need pictures, along with all the stuff that now stays up on your dash, instead of rolling around on the floor mat.

Smilingreen

Agreed Dave. There are also those USB ports that plug right into a cigarette lighter socket. No installation needed at all. I wanted to keep it open for a spotlight or future use. Not for lighting a smoke though.
I keep a little pouch of cigars between the windshield and the dash along with the daily mail I go collect at the mailbox a 1/3 of a mile down the farm lane. It does ok sitting there, until I want to turn the defrost on. That flat dash area might be a good place to put the pistol while in transit, too. I might be interested in one.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
Bob did a fine job creating the Dash Retainer.
He sent me the STL file and I printed same on my 3D printer.
Turned out great and fit's perfect.
Used 3M tape to install and does the job very nicely.
Cheer's to Bob and Thanx again - a real asset to the group.