1 piece prop shaft

Hi everyone, I have a 2011 RTV900xt that has the new style prop shaft that has loose spline in the nipples. No one seems to know how to repair these and iam not the only one with this problem. I am not going to spend 700.00 (ripoff) on a new one. Sooooooo ive decided to be the guiney pig and dive into this problem. This is the plan/// take shaft to machine shop and have them cut a thin slit full lenth of nipples and install mcmaster carr shaft clamp on out side of nipple. john deere has a cv shaft like ours on one of there machines and thats how they do it. What are your thoughts........Cheers,Scotty

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good Luck !! Hopefully, you can save the boots - really expensive back when I had my 2011 RTV 900 xt , there weren't aftermarkets to choose from. oem- around $85 ea..
Hint.. Under the rubber mat is a section of flooring that can be removed and make access to the shaft much,much easier. .. Water under rubber is bad news after a few years.. bedliner paint does wonders though .

Reactions: Doc
Well guys,I changed my mind about cuting that nipple. decided to make adpt. insted. The teflon washer floats incase the screws loosin up. it will protect the trany housing. washer and adpt must go on shaft first because prop shaft wont callaps enough to install. well heres a pic(i hope) of what iam doing. if you have any ideas please post. btw please forgive my typing skills,at 67 years young it takes me forever to type...Cheers,Scottykubota 005 paint 2.jpg

koloughlin

How did this work out? I am having a problem with my prop shaft on my rtv-x1100c and no rebuild options other than buy a $700 shaft...

I endedup buying one on ebay, if you buy a new shaft and install you find it will flop around lik a fish outa water because the male splines on front and rear are warn and will takeout the splines on new shaft....kubota really droped the ball on this, the splined nipple should have a clamp to tightin nipple on male spline like john deere utvs....if you grab the shaft it move back forth alot with cv joints...so for now i am running my machine with out prop shaft onless iam going on a trail unknown. can you imagine what it would cost for front,rear male spline shafts? i was just thinking would that be somthing if the front spindles had lockout hubs like jeep..it would put an end to all thos moving parts untill you need it....Scotty

koloughlin

Do you cover the splines when you run it without a prop shaft? I think the bearings are shot in ours but I do see how the splines could get worn out. I was considering making a support for the shaft that just bolts on each end but that's only if a new shaft does not fix it. Not sure what else the clicking noise could be in the front, it has all new cv joints.

koloughlin

Well guys,I changed my mind about cuting that nipple. decided to make adpt. insted. The teflon washer floats incase the screws loosin up. it will protect the trany housing. washer and adpt must go on shaft first because prop shaft wont callaps enough to install. well heres a pic(i hope) of what iam doing. if you have any ideas please post. btw please forgive my typing skills,at 67 years young it takes me forever to type...Cheers,ScottyView attachment 12455

Well guys,I changed my mind about cuting that nipple. decided to make adpt. insted. The teflon washer floats incase the screws loosin up. it will protect the trany housing. washer and adpt must go on shaft first because prop shaft wont callaps enough to install. well heres a pic(i hope) of what iam doing. if you have any ideas please post. btw please forgive my typing skills,at 67 years young it takes me forever to type...Cheers,ScottyView attachment 12455
This looks like it would be easy enough to 3d print and maybe worth trying it. Is this a to scale drawing? If you think this is correct if you send it to me, I can model it in 3d and print it out of a durable material for proof of concept.