1120D - Steering When Not Running

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Last weekend, the seven year old battery died in our X1120. I was able to get it going again with a jump pack and taking a replacement battery to install this coming weekend. I have never dived into hydro-static steering or how it works. But I understand the steering wheel is not directly connected to the steering arm or tie rod ends. It is instead connected to actuator valves.

If this is true, do you have steering when the RTV becomes disabled and you have to tow it with the steering tires off the ground?

Thanks

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I the steering tires are “off the ground”…what does it matter..?

The steering wheel is attached to a “orbitol” type steering actuator.…and the steering reverts to “manual” steer-ability when the engine or hyd’s are off. It’s stiffer…fells much like an older automobile with power-steering (pre elect-steering.)

Reactions: Doc

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
That's a relief Geo, thank you. My first vehicles had manual steering, transmission and brakes. So I will be prepared if I ever have to move it while its disabled.

Reactions: Doc

Dragon Leg

I have a 2011 RTV 1100C, and when my engine is off, I can turn the steering wheel with resistance trying to turn the front wheels but not with enough force to slide the tire on dirt unless it's moving. The result seems to be that I can steer a little, but if something wants to make the tires go a certain way, it's going to win over my steering wheel. With old power steering cars, the steering wheel is still attached to the tires and if you turn one, the other will turn at whatever force it takes. On this, it's more like a really weak clutch slipping between the steering wheel and the tires.

I'm under the impression I would be able to steer as I coast to a stop, but I wouldn't be able to do anything like steer up a steep bank with the engine off (but I'm not going to coast up that bank either).

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Replacement battery did the trick. Like the tractors, got a Duracell but not because of that name. These batteries are made by East Penn, makers of Deka batteries. As you may know, Deka is legendary for their amazing service life. We'll see. One other note - the factory battery clamps are cheap and feel like very light metal. I would like to replace both terminals and wonder if a Kubota part is available or if you just have to measure and get them at NAPA.