2012 RTV400ci rear disc brake replacement from a new to the group member.

quawk

Have just joined this forum after being directed here by a fellow member on another forum. Have a relatively new to me 2012 RTV400ci that was purchased as non-running at a consignment auction. After a considerable amount of work/labor, I solved several problems and got it to start, run, shift, and drive as it should, with zero dollars spent on parts except for fresh oil. After running it around for a good amount of time after repairs were completed, out of the blue, the left rear brake rotor basically broke apart in about 6 or 7 pieces. The brakes were not dragging, and did not have a caliper hanging up or anything that was generating excessive heat. Anyway, as I had already found out as a member of another Kubota forum, replacement parts from Kubota in some/many instances are very expensive. I will now need a replacement rear brake rotor and a new one from Messicks (Kubota) is $233. A lot of car and truck rotors are less than that! The Kubota rotor is a simple small diameter flat plate with no extra drilling or slotting, and $233 is simply crazy for such a piece. Am asking if anyone has found a sub that would work for the overpiced Kubota rotor? This was an inexpensive machine and am trying to keep costs down and in line with what the machine is worth. Any response or help would be appreciated

Junkman

Administrator
If it is a flat piece of steel you might be able to find a machine shop with a CNC machine that could cut one out of the thickness of your old disc and drill the holes. I am not certain that it will be less expensive, but it is an option that you could pursue. Is it possible to put the old one back together for measurements?

quawk

If it is a flat piece of steel you might be able to find a machine shop with a CNC machine that could cut one out of the thickness of your old disc and drill the holes. I am not certain that it will be less expensive, but it is an option that you could pursue. Is it possible to put the old one back together for measurements?
There is enough left of the old disc to take measurements. I doubt having one custom made would be cheaper than an OEM. I was hoping someone else may have, in the past, found a disc from another atv, utv, etc., to fit or be close enough for a replacement. I do have a lathe and could do some turning if one could be found close in size. Some of these smaller, aftermarket rotors for some of these machines can be had for about $40-$50 for a pair. A far cry from $233 for one rotor.