2012 RTV400ci trans oil substitute

quawk

The owners manual says the trans oil to use for this machine is Kubota UDT or Super UDT-2. Can someone tell me what a suitable, readily available substitute would be? Could a universal hydraulic trans oil be used?

Junkman

Administrator
I don't own an RTV, however, I have seen this same question asked on many tractor sites over the past almost 20 years, and the answer is always the same. Kubota UDT or Super UDT-2 is a proprietary product of Kubota Corporation. Some people tried other products that were labeled as replacing the Kubota product, but unfortunately, it wasn't the same and their tractors suffered as a result. It was an expensive mistake because they had to drain the entire hydraulic system and then install the Kubota product. In some instances, they sometimes said that the tractor didn't operate like it previously had. A 5-gallon pail of Kubota Super UDT-2 is about $135 at most Kubota dealers.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I am of the opinion that using anything other than the Exact Kubota-recommended fluids …is false economy.

If they fail or cause damage to the machine…the repair and down-time will be overwhelmingly more expensive than simply using the proper fluids….

…and … You’ll never know what the fluid-change intervals of the substituted fluids should be. Even if they work in the short-term…will they be as durable as OEM Fluids?

Peace-of-mind is worth a lot to me.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Early in the ownership of my first RTV, I tried an off brand. It foamed - I quickly had to get a new filter and the Kubota UDT . Wasted my money on the cheap stuff.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I live in the kubota fluids desert also. Messiks or colemans and amazon and others deliver via fedex or ups.