2013 RTV 1120 barely moves and shutters 1,000 hrs

ChipW

HELP!!!!!
Hi! I have a 2013 RTV 1120 that I bought that has very very low travel performance. It will only make 3 mph on the stands. It has all new filters and factory fluid. There were no chunks In fact nothing in the oil and just normal charcoal colored paste on the magnetic plug. When I asked the dealer some very technical questions I could tell they really did not know much. (3 different dealers). it feels like it is cavitating because of the shuttering. Much thanks for any help!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Are all filler ports full? Look under the seat at all reservoirs there also. The reason I mention this is at one time the filler ports on- some machines - weren't clearly labeled and would sometime unknowingly be driven with no fluid after a change. I don't know if yours is in that timeframe or not though. .

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
check to make sure your brakes aren't stuck. including the park brake. with te engine off and the machine on the stands roll each wheel to see if anything is in a bind. do you have the tools to check the charge pressure?

ChipW

Are all filler ports full? Look under the seat at all reservoirs there also. The reason I mention this is at one time the filler ports on- some machines - weren't clearly labeled and would sometime unknowingly be driven with no fluid after a change. I don't know if yours is in that timeframe or not though. .
Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes the transmission is full and the tank under the seat is full as well. Also all new filters installed.

ChipW

check to make sure your brakes aren't stuck. including the park brake. with te engine off and the machine on the stands roll each wheel to see if anything is in a bind. do you have the tools to check the charge pressure?
Thank you for your reply! I put the machine on the stands and it only makes 3mph. I do not have the tools to check the pressures. I suppose my next step so be to check the pressures? I feels like pressure is bypassing some how but as I mentioned earlier there was nothing found in the hydraulic oil when I changed it. It seems as if a pressure valve or something like this is stuck or failed? Maybe a split oring?

ChipW

The dealer had me to replace all the hydro oil and filters first off but to be clear I did not feel that the oil and filters were the cause.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
do you think that this oil change could be the first since new? how many hours on the machine? an oil renew is always first step. you need to also check to see if the peddle adjustment is correct.

ChipW

do you think that this oil change could be the first since new? how many hours on the machine? an oil renew is always first step. you need to also check to see if the peddle adjustment is correct.
I’m not sure about the previous oil changes? But the oil was not fresh and had some time on it. The machine has a little over 1000 hrs so definitely not high time. I bought it from the original owner but he is very old and not much help on information. The machine is in excellent cosmetic condition and shows no signs of abuse. I did look at the peddle issue but at only 3 mph speed on stands did not seem to be the issue to me. All the linkage is intact and working with no signs of adjustment from the factory new. The dealer talked of these adjustments as well and if it were going let’s say 18mph instead of the 30 it should be going, I could think to go that direction but at 3mph I’m just not buying that scenario.

ChipW

One thing that would seem to be a possibility, is that pressure release valve that actuates when the brake is pressed?? Now the adjustment is correct and the plunger is not engaged when the peddle is released but I’m suspicious that there could be something wrong with the valve itself allowing pressure to bypass?? The dear said no but I’m thinking possible? Again this machine is new to me and I don’t know enough about how this whole thing works?

chipW,I had the same problem when i got my 2011xt. it would only go 15mph. that little button on the pressure release valve was stuck in the up positon a little and was not coming down all the way. I took pliers and twisted and pulled down on the little button and BINGO,24MPH! I then disabled the lever that pushes up on the button...Still gos into gearange fine at idle. when i get around to fixing it right iam going to buy a new valve. i think dirt and road salt around the button caused this problem..

ChipW

Hi thank you for the response! I think we have two different setups ..... mine is on the right side and has a flat piece of maybe 1/8” plate that rotates and pushes Against a round rod that goes inside the valve ..... I call it a plunger. There is a gap between the sheet metal and the plunger rod but I will say I did not pull it with a pair of pliers to see if it could come out more?? I was thinking of taking that valve out for inspection any ideas??

chip,that plunger should move freely in and out,there is a spring in there to push the plunger out buy default. try the plyer thing first and see what happens and get back with results...in the meantime ill take a pic of mine and post,i think we have the same setup.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes the poppet should be checked for sure. put some oil on it and push it in and out a few times to make sure it is seated. as for the peddle i would say in your case it would have to be extremely out of adjustment but definitely could be the cause.

ChipW

chip,that plunger should move freely in and out,there is a spring in there to push the plunger out buy default. try the plyer thing first and see what happens and get back with results...in the meantime ill take a pic of mine and post,i think we have the same setup.
Yes, I agree it should be returning under its own spring but I will check it now and post the result and I also will take a picture of mine and post it. My question is this a slide valve type with o-rings?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i could be wrong. i don't think it has a spring but the internal hydro pressure forces it out against the seat. the purpose of the poppet is to release the hydro pressure when you hit the brakes in order to make shifting gears easier. it does have orings to prevent external leaks. i usually put a drop of transmission oil on mine from the dipstick and then tap it in and out a few times while the engine idles. the poppet can become sticky pretty easy. i don't twist on it or use pliers because i don't want to make a mark on the shaft that could ruin the oring.