5X10 TRAILER?

MRBASS

With Fuel prices going crazy i have been thinking of a smaller trailer for those times when all i am hauling is the Kubota. I have a big trailer that will haul 2 rtv's with no problem but the big trailer hurts the fuel Mileage more than a smaller trailer would. I have a chance at a Really sharp little 5x10 trailer with a tailgate but was curious if my RTV will fit.. I have measured the Kubota and it is almost exactly 10ftand the seller of the trailer says from the front rail to the tailgate is exactly 10ft.Will my Kubota fit on a 5x10 trailer?Cant have no rubbing or anything that would scar my baby!!</P>

In September i am going to Idaho bear and ElkHunting and would much rather take a smaller trailer than my big 20 footer,,figure i could save at least halfthe price of the smaller trailer in fuel mileage if it will fit.!</P>

Thanx for the help Guys..</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="MRBASS"]I have a chance at a Really sharp little 5x10 trailer with a tailgate but was curious if my RTV will fit.[/quote]
That's going to be real close. If it has sides, that'll make it even closer.

Do you have an opportunity to "borrow" the trailer to pull the RTV onto it? You'll want to pull on as well as back on to test tongue weight.

Do I assume correctly it has a 3000# rating? You'll be real close to the weight limit. The RTV fits nicely on a 6x12' but I understand about finding a deal... Ideally, brakes would be nice.

ne-sd

A 5x10 trilaer would be the ABSOLUTE minimum for a Kubota. I would question the carrying capacity - a Kubota weighs in at about 2,000#'s. I know when I went to use a 5x10 the wheels rubbed on the side of trailer rails and I never got the Kubota on. After we thought about it for a while we noticed that the trailer had 13" wheels and the axle was rated 1,450 #'s. I purchased a 7x12 which has a 3,500 # axle and 15 " tires that have a capacity of 1,850 #'s. The 12" legnth allows me to move the Kubota to a center spot that puts pressure on the hitch/ball. Since I have carried various items in the box of the Kubota I re-center the weight to give me downward pressure on the ball on each trip.</P>

Would recommend that you do research on the internet - large number of trailer suppliers and each usually has the specs for the trailer. Jerry</P>

coobie

[quote user="ne-sd"]

A 5x10 trilaer would be the ABSOLUTE minimum for a Kubota. I would question the carrying capacity - a Kubota weighs in at about 2,000#'s. I know when I went to use a 5x10 the wheels rubbed on the side of trailer rails and I never got the Kubota on. After we thought about it for a while we noticed that the trailer had 13" wheels and the axle was rated 1,450 #'s. I purchased a 7x12 which has a 3,500 # axle and 15 " tires that have a capacity of 1,850 #'s. The 12" legnth allows me to move the Kubota to a center spot that puts pressure on the hitch/ball. Since I have carried various items in the box of the Kubota I re-center the weight to give me downward pressure on the ball on each trip.</P>

Would recommend that you do research on the internet - large number of trailer suppliers and each usually has the specs for the trailer. Jerry</P>[/quote]I agree with Jerry!!I won,t haul my RTV 900(I also have a full curtis cab)on my trailer(6X12) with 2500lbs axle.I also would be concerned what the trailer axle is rated at.coobie

MR BASS,</P>

Well, my two cents,We just drove to Idaho last summer and I want anything of mine, I tow that far on two axles. 5000 miles round trip, of course we went other places too, but that is a long way to turn over a little wheel bearing and take a chance on anything happening. I always try to error on the side that gives me the best chanceif something happens, if possible. Also, when we went, we sent home stuff twice via postal service, enoughto cover 20 percent of the fuel cost for the trip. </P>

Not giving advice-just my opinion.</P>

Nick</P>

MRBASS

Actually I have already talked to the people that made the trailer and it is a 6x10, not a 5x10 and has a 4000lb Dexter axle with 15" 8ply tires. The trailer is about 80 miles from me so I am waiting on a buddy to get back in town so i can try his 5x10.. If the kubota fits on His i will make the drive to get the 6x10. Thought about buying it anyway,, at 400.00 i couldnt lose if i wanted to resell it. He paid 850.00 45 days ago and just got layed off from his Job at GM In arlington,tx,,from talking to him he is in a real bind for money.. Was thinking I could save some fuel if I used a smaller trailer when I could.</P>

Here is a pic he sent me,,hard to tell anything in the picture but looks like a good design anyway.</P>

MRBASS

[quote user="bczoom"][quote user="MRBASS"]I have a chance at a Really sharp little 5x10 trailer with a tailgate but was curious if my RTV will fit.[/quote]
That's going to be real close. If it has sides, that'll make it even closer.

Do you have an opportunity to "borrow" the trailer to pull the RTV onto it? You'll want to pull on as well as back on to test tongue weight.

Do I assume correctly it has a 3000# rating? You'll be real close to the weight limit. The RTV fits nicely on a 6x12' but I understand about finding a deal... Ideally, brakes would be nice.
[/quote]</P>

I actually have a set of brakes I could put on it left over from my last trailer. Stopping really isnt an issue with something this small though, at least not with my Duramax/Allison Combo.the down shifting of the Allison tranny is a huge help when Stopping. Anything much bigger like my big red trailer,, brakes are a must have.!I also always back the RTVon, the thought of having to buy another 600.00 windshield after a rock from the truck tiresbreaks it is not even in the Wifes Budget...! Tongue weight shouldnt be too much of an issue with a 10ft trailer,,I know the 2500hd chevy doesent care about the tongue weight of the RTV.</P>

MRBASS

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]

Hauling a RTV >>>>>>>> GO TANDEM !!!!</P>

[/quote]</P>

Already got one a dem,,looking to save some fuel when i can...........</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="MRBASS"]Thought about buying it anyway,, at 400.00 i couldnt lose if i wanted to resell it.[/quote]
For $400 I'd buy it. If it doesn't work for the RTV, it'll work for other things or like you said, sell it.

If you do end up using it for the RTV and your hunting trip, I would put the brakes on it. I'd also work on a way to to use the ramps from your bigger trailer. Although the ramp is mesh, it does still create a lot of wind resistance. Having it removed will also allow the RTV to stick out the back just a little if/as needed (which it may to get that front drawbar on for tieing it down).

Re. tieing it down, I'd also propose you use grade 70 chains for that long trip. Can't speak for the TX to ID states but around here, those straps would probably get you in trouble with the State Police and DOT. They don't like/allow straps on rolling loads.

Don't forget a spare tire and the things necessary to change it...

ez chair

I have two trailers. Like you my main trailer is a 14,000 lb tandem equipment trailer. Not wanting to drag that everywhere I got a 6.5x12 single axle utility. I tried a 6.5 x10, but I could not balance the Kabota. 10 ft did not allow enough forward to back placement. Since all trailers place the axle different, I agree that you should "TRY" the trailer first. Next, the trailer needs a minimum of a 3500 axle. RTV weighs 2000 lbs, trailer will weigh 1000+, lesser weight axles will be overloaded and be in danger of bearings overheating and seizing.</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<FONT color=#808080> Quote from Bczoom, I'd also work on a way to to use the ramps from your bigger trailer. Although the ramp is mesh, it does still create a lot of wind resistance. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000> That is the gospel truth,the fold down mesh ramps cause much wind resistance !!!!I don't care howbig the mesh or air gapsa fold-up ramp has......Pull a trailer both ways, see the fuel comsumption difference in your truck with that back gate. You will be cutting off the ramps before one knows it !!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2> </FONT><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>Two Guns </FONT></FONT></P>

<FONT color=#808080>
</FONT>

</P>

Just one more "2 cents"</P>

I have a trailer that "barely" fits my RTV. Until I had to rescue said RTV with a plow on front, I never thought twice about it. Couple of tries, and some not so nice words, I went back and retrieved my "justa bit longer" trailer. </P>

muffler man

I have a 5X12 single axle trailer with ramp. I have had no problem at all pulling the rtv. It would be better if it was 5.5 x 12 because it is a close fit. The 12 feet allows you to be able to carry additional equipment and allows the you to balance you load. Yes the ramp will cause wind drag and burn more fuel.</P>

Bill</P>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
RTV Forum posters:</P>

Interesting Topic... hauling RTV's on a trailer. A lot of invaluable information/advice/ideas on the subject. I was encouraged to see the emphasis the forum places on "safety". Not only are there ideas presented on this forum to help protect the RTV and the trailer, but also the owners responsibilitywhen hauling anything. There was a tragic incident in the Pittsburgh area several years ago whenatree chipper, trailered behind a truck,came loose and slammed into a family minivan killing several people. Keep safety as your # 1 priority and work from there.</P>

Does anyone haul their RTV's in an enclosed trailer?</P>

Keifer, still a RTV wannabe</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keifer,

I remember that accident all too well. There's been a subsequent push by the law to assure proper hauling procedures are followed. Once my large trailers inspection ran out, it hasn't moved as they can and possibly will impound your truck & trailer and throw you in jail. And that's for towing an uninspected trailer.
I use grade-70 chains and utilize the 4-point attachment method (as prescribed by law) for all rolling loads.
People have laughed at me in the past on how thoroughly I secure a load. I remind them that it's not for when things are going fine, it's for the "what if" something goes wrong. Haven't lost a load yet...

I've looked into an enclosed trailer but my RTV is now too tall to fit in most of the standard height trailers. My RTV is now a little over 7' tall.

MRBASS

Do you pull your RTV on to the trailer or do you back it on? With the Glass windshield i always back mine on so my truck dosent throw a rock up and break it.. Also with the front and rear windshield the RTV is going to catch a lot of air,on a shorter trailer i would be willing to bet the RTV would block most of the air thru a tailgate too but if i end up with a trailer that has a rear gate I could always take it off and slide it under the RTV for the trip.</P>

When i purchased my RTV i had a 350 mile trip home and on my big trailer i got 11mpg pulling with the Duramax.With diesel very close to 4 bucks a gallon now,1-2mpg can make a big difference over a 3000 mile trip.!</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="MRBASS"] Do you pull your RTV on to the trailer or do you back it on?[/quote]
My windshield is Lexan so I just pull it on. The trailering of my RTV is very infrequent and relatively short trips (less than 20 miles).

Can't speak for the ramp on the trailer you're looking at but the dimensions of mine are too big to slide under the RTV.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
We back ours on the trailer !!!! Also, wrap a 14oz. - 16oz banner around the front windshield during transport . Banner has gromments around it like a tarp Takes about a minute to install and remove. Use tarp straps to secureends toeach other .....Don't worry about my truck throwing rocks as much as meeting another big truck or a chip trailer, and something getting to the glass. Dealer told me, he has broken two during transport to the new owners, now after telling him about the banner thing. He practices this also !!!!! I call it a blanket insurance protection !!!! [*-)]