62HRS And Now my Drive Shaft RATTLES Like Crazy.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="MRBASS"]

Did some surfing of the net tonight and found this.</P>

http://www.cornejo.net/rtv900/</P>

Seems like an easy fix,, this guy also has some other info on his site.</P>

Thought ya'll might fine this very valuable!</P>

[/quote]</P>

MR. BASS,</P>

THAT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST INFORMATIONAL THREADS I'VE EVERREAD, WE BOOKMARKED THIS !!!!!!!!!! ~~~~</P>

<FONT face=Verdana size=4>Thank You for the Thread !!!!! It's going to help many RTV owners ~~~~</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Verdana size=4> <FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>>>> Two Guns >>></FONT></FONT></P>

</P>

Good stuff. I don't see anything that would cause a problem. Remember the rule of thumb for spline: splines must be engaged at least as deep as the diameter of the shaft which is splined. I don't see any violation of that rule in this set up.

MRBASS

I have to admit i am not real happy with Kubotas design on this Drive shaft. It will serve the purpose since the RTV is not a 60mph hot rod but they could have easily fixed this issue with a "Beefier" front drive shaft.I just about have everything ready for this fix and itLooks like it is going to rain a few more inches over the next 3 days so i should get some Qualitytime in the shop with the RTV..!!</P>

ez chair

I was always told that champhering the spline pin hole was so a burr can not form on the surface and thus causing damage if you need to remove the shaft. If this is a idling nucence rattle will just placing a rubber tension spacer and putting pin back in cure problem? If not make sure set screw contact is below shaft core hight so not to jam shaft on spline.

Deerlope

[quote user="MRBASS"]

Did some surfing of the net tonight and found this.</P>

http://www.cornejo.net/rtv900/</P>

Seems like an easy fix,, this guy also has some other info on his site.</P>

Thought ya'll might fine this very valuable!</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

There is a recall on that frontdrive shaft rattle problem. I took mine back and it was fixed by my dealer.</P>

G

Hey I think I know the guy that put those pages together. He is an IT guy at a company that I work with.

Deerlope

[quote user="ez chair"]What did they do?[/quote]</P>

</P>

A shock collar was put on the shaft right where it comes thru the crossmember.</P>

MRBASS

I have no warranty left on my unit.. I purchased my RTV from the Owner of a case dealership who used it at his home to spray the fence lines.He put a total of 28.3hrs on it in 2 yrs. Absolutely new condition, no scratches anywhere but also no warranty. According to several stickers on my unit it was manufactured in 12/2005.</P>

I know several people that had the yokes replaced and even the whole drive shaft but it only worked for a while. I do not have a rattle at idle onlywhile driving. Especially when i cross a cattle guard, no matter how slow I go it sounds like it is going to fall completely off.!</P>

Will let ya'll know how the fix works for me.</P>

Deerlope

[quote user="CanyonCreekMT"]Can yo post a picture? I would like to see if my new RTV has it installed. Purchased in December. 3 Hours total time.[/quote]</P>

Yours may not have the collar because it is so new. My is an 05 I think that after 05 the problem went away thru better designengineering.</P>

MRBASS, recalls are not warranties. Check with your dealer and see if your RTV is covered by the recall. If it is, you may get your problem fixed for free. </P>

Of course, you may want to fix it yourself, if you've got a good fix designed. </P>

DougK

[quote user="KubotaTechnician"]

MRBASS, recalls are not warranties. Check with your dealer and see if your RTV is covered by the recall. If it is, you may get your problem fixed for free. </p>

Of course, you may want to fix it yourself, if you've got a good fix designed. </p>[/quote]

Kubota Technician
could you share the specifics of the recall?
Thanks
Doug

Deerlope

I heard about the drive shaft problem on the netand went to my dealer and told him that this was a recall and that I wanted mine fixed. Dealers do not aways tell the buyers about recalls. Why I don't know but it got done.

coobie

[quote user="MRBASS"]

I have no warranty left on my unit.. I purchased my RTV from the Owner of a case dealership who used it at his home to spray the fence lines.He put a total of 28.3hrs on it in 2 yrs. Absolutely new condition, no scratches anywhere but also no warranty. According to several stickers on my unit it was manufactured in 12/2005.</P>

I know several people that had the yokes replaced and even the whole drive shaft but it only worked for a while. I do not have a rattle at idle onlywhile driving. Especially when i cross a cattle guard, no matter how slow I go it sounds like it is going to fall completely off.!</P>

Will let ya'll know how the fix works for me.</P>[/quote]Great post!!I am on my third driveshaft all have rattled and I just gave up on another dealer replacement.I have 132hours on my rtv 900.I will take this post&picture to my dealer and see what they can do.coobie

I know they have a TSB out on it, and they have decided there is a problem with the front drive shaft. The method of dealing with this is to replace the entire front shaft. I'm not sure how they are dealing with it, if its being "campaigned" or if its on a "when it shows up" basis. If Kubota launches a campaign, they expect all units to be fixed. For instance, the BX tractors have a campaign on the fender strut kits. </P>

I'll try to get info on Monday when I go in to work, as thats where all my paperwork is.</P>

Deerlope, in the case of the driveshaft, I don't think every unit has the problem. Kubota won't pay for every unit to be fixed, just those with the problem. What this means is, Kubota is trying to save money by not fixing the "not broken" units. The reason the dealer doesn't tell the customer is because Kubota wants those parts replaced under warranty sent back. Then, Kubota will pay IF the part was indeed bad.</P>

So its not a case of the dealer trying to "shaft" anyone (sorry for the pun), they just don't want to get caught in the middle and not see any money for services rendered.</P>

Deerlope

[quote user="KubotaTechnician"]

Developed, in the case of the driveshaft, I don't think every unit has the problem. Kubota won't pay for every unit to be fixed, just those with the problem. What this means is, Kubota is trying to save money by not fixing the "not broken" units. The reason the dealer doesn't tell the customer is because Kubota wants those parts replaced under warranty sent back. Then, Kubota will pay IF the part was indeed bad.</P>

So its not a case of the dealer trying to "shaft" anyone (sorry for the pun), they just don't want to get caught in the middle and not see any money for services rendered.</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

A few years ago Toyota had a problem with head gaskets on some cars. They chose to recall every vehicle that was affected, NOT just the ones with known bad head gaskets. This is one reasons why Toyota is the top auto maker in the US today. If your children were exposed to a deadly deaseae and there was a vaccine for it would you not want all them to be vaccinated or just the ones that get sick. I don't want to knit pick on this subject but a recall is just what is say it is. All those units affected should be repaired. Not just the one that give problems. </P>