900 Fuse panal cover question

pappy19

After almost losing my fuse panal cover a number of times, I finally just putthe plastic coverin my garage so I wouldn't lose it. I talked to my dealer mechanic and he said to duk tape it. Is there another solution to this problem or can I safely leave the cover off? Thanks-</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Burns me up !!!!That was kinda dirty of the mechanic saying what he did. Heck, if it was ment to DUCT tape the blasted thing, it would have come from the factory that way. How long have you had your RTV. I'd be shot before I duct tape anything on ours . That is not just right ! I will take a look at mine & see if I can give you a helping hand on this as soon as I get back to mine out on the farm !!!! </P>

bczoom might be able to help you before I can even get to mine. But please, don't junk up your RTV and tape it, wasn't ment to be ~~~~~</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"] bczoom might be able to help you before I can even get to mine. But please, don't junk up your RTV and tape it, wasn't ment to be ~~~~~[/quote]
Give me a few minutes to head out there to take a look.

Be right back.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, I'm back.

I removed and re-installed my cover several times. I did find a pattern where mine would fall off.

Here's what I found.
When looking at the cover (your head is over the engine and you're looking forward), the right hand tab hits the plastic cowling that's behind the seat. This is occurring near the bottom of the tab. If the entire length of that tab (all 3-4") isn't fully locked in, the cover easily falls off.

To resolve, I locked that right hand tab into place and assured the full tab is in place by visual inspection and sliding my finger down the right hand side between the back of the fuse panel and that plastic cowling for the seat to assure I have a full lock on the right side. I then locked in the left tab. It then stayed in place.

If this doesn't work for you, do the same thing but when done locking in both tabs, slide the fuse panel cover to the right to assure you have a good lock on the right side.

If it still doesn't work... Look at the sides of the fuse panel cover. If the 2 sides that have the tabs are bowed in, try to bend them out slightly. 2-guns knows more about this but the application of heat before bending, then holding those sides out until cooling may help to keep those sides bent outward more. By being bent outward more, once they lock in, you shouldn't have any issues.

Give it a try and let us know.
Brian

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PS. I wouldn't run it without that cover. After removing mine and seeing the amount of dust in there, I'd say you'll be running into issues if it's removed. Excessive dirt could cause an issue. Even more of an issue may be the water that can enter that area either in a rain or when cleaning the machine.