900 loss of power going up hills

kas1263

I have a 2006 RTV 900. Recently I noticed a lack of power going up hills. I changed the air and diesel filter and maybe noticed a slight improvement but nothing close to what it was. Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
when was the last time you changed the fluid and filters in the transmission? did you use Kubota fluids?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What about the notorious spark arrester.? That thing is a power stealer when clogged. bordercollie

kas1263

It's been many years since it's been changed. When you say transmission do you mean hydraulic fluid? The spark arrester has been removed a long time ago.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
how many hours on your machine? when you use it does it stay running for hours at a time or is it stop and go? yes it is time to change the oil and filters. use only Kubota branded. if the pumps or motor has been wearing then a symptom would be loss of efficiency.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Kubota's SUDT2 is the best for your transmission- especially if you are in cold weather. It's synthetic and even though I'm a cheapskate, It's all I ever used. Also, it doesn't foam like the cheap stuff. As Aurthuritis said on the filters, go oem . I had over 4,200 hrs each on my RTV 900's year 2005 and then 2011, all self imposed hrs with me being the only driver. and never any transmission problems nor engine. bordercollie

kas1263

I'm embarrassed to say it hasn't been changed since the 50 hour tune up and it has 1235 hours on it. When I do use it, it is for several times a day for 5 to 15 minutes at a time.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I'm embarrassed to say it hasn't been changed since the 50 hour tune up and it has 1235 hours on it. When I do use it, it is for several times a day for 5 to 15 minutes at a time.

under those conditions you should cut your maintenance intervals in half. at least. or change the oil once a year if your hours are less than indicated by maintenance schedual.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great. :) Let it warm up and drive a bit before changing those fluids. We want to get the sediment to drain out as much as possible too. That magnetic plug will probably shock you. ;) bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Great. :) Let it warm up and drive a bit before changing those fluids. We want to get the sediment to drain out as much as possible too. That magnetic plug will probably shock you. ;) bordercollie

something to consider would be to change the oil and filters again after 50 hours. but if the plates have been damaged an oil change may not help the problem but it will help keep it from getting worse.:gotsmoney: