Air Conditioning and Loss of Power

there is no way to check the spark arrestor anymore. It's inside the muffler and can't be removed or seen. But with only 100 hours on it there shouldn't be a spark arrestor problem.

milkman

there is no way to check the spark arrestor anymore. It's inside the muffler and can't be removed or seen. But with only 100 hours on it there shouldn't be a spark arrestor problem.

I got my 900 with 58hrs on it and the first thing I checked was the spark arrestor, pulled it out and the screen surface was solid with soot. Screen won't clog any more. Might not be your problem, but if there's a screen in the arrestor, it will be sooted up. I hadn't run mine enough to see if it affected the performance. I'm still watching for the solution to your loss of power, could it be fuel or filter? It only takes a small amount of water to restrict the fuel filter.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My 04 900 was clogged in the 32 hr range. Had noticeable loss of power. Dealer told me to check arrestor. Since then the first thing I did was remove the screen on the ones I've had since.

Mark.Sibole

I thought you'd all get a kick out of that lame excuse!

If mine were like that id be cutting it apart removing the worthless pos and re welding it back together or fabricating a whole new muffler.Evidently they dont realize with the lousy new fuel standards they plug up real fast

King

Think I would put on a different one two but not sure the new ones have spark arrestor built in them

rapracing

Interesting. Mine does the same thing. When I purchased it I was skeptical when they told me it had no effect. I figured it had to. You are pull HP from the engine to run it so I just accepted it as the way it is going to be

I got my 900 with 58hrs on it and the first thing I checked was the spark arrestor, pulled it out and the screen surface was solid with soot. Screen won't clog any more. Might not be your problem, but if there's a screen in the arrestor, it will be sooted up. I hadn't run mine enough to see if it affected the performance. I'm still watching for the solution to your loss of power, could it be fuel or filter? It only takes a small amount of water to restrict the fuel filter.

There is no screen. There is a nice clear fuel filter now, easy to spot dirt and water. That was all checked by me and double checked by the mechanic the other day. Fuel is not suspect here. I keep a good fuel tank that's treated even for fungus. Diesel fuel quality in my tractors is critical. Rebuilding injector pumps and replacing injectors is not cheap! Latest model tractors the rebuilt injectors are $400 each.

Last edited:
Interesting. Mine does the same thing. When I purchased it I was skeptical when they told me it had no effect. I figured it had to. You are pull HP from the engine to run it so I just accepted it as the way it is going to be

So you have a little power loss or a great power loss on hills with the A/C on. Like an instant 4 or 5 mile per hour drop in speed?

If mine were like that id be cutting it apart removing the worthless pos and re welding it back together or fabricating a whole new muffler.Evidently they dont realize with the lousy new fuel standards they plug up real fast

Not going to destroy the muffler until I give them time to resolve the issue. Hate to void the warranty! And that would void it.

King

4 to 5 mph is not normal I would say and your right don't be cutting up the muffler until its out of warranty could have the dealer replace the muffler and try that hill.

dd20399

a thought

from what I have read,was wondering the possibility of an overcharge on the 134a..that can pull a lot more hp without slipping the belt..could be taken out and weigh in correct amount to test..overcharge would not cool as good but with the door off you won't notice either..just a thought.... danny in n.c

Kaos

I'm sure you checked, nothing blocking your air filter flow?

Worst thing I heard so far was the part your dealer said about the door being off.
I am much better when someone tells me they don't know what the problem is, but we will work to figure it out. I take it as an insult.
Good luck with the problem.

rapracing

Cornerstonefarm,

I tried replying with the quote of what you said but it wouldn't let me.

My power loss is significant. It drops at least 5mph and I have to drop to about 1/2 throttle to get it to go.

Cornerstonefarm,

I tried replying with the quote of what you said but it wouldn't let me.

My power loss is significant. It drops at least 5mph and I have to drop to about 1/2 throttle to get it to go.

Interesting! Same thing! So it's something with the units and I suspect it's that muffler. I am going to keep pressing my dealer for a solution and will post if they come up with something.

I can live with it, rarely use the A/C anyway. I am in and out of it so often I really don't need it. But it would be nice to use when I am spraying and then I am not going fast so probably wouldn't even notice the loss.

Last edited:

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Something is seriously different with our units. My 2012 RTV 1100 experiences no appreciable power/speed different if the AC/ is on or not. I can feel a very small 'nudge" when it kicks on or off, but nothing out of the ordinary. Of course it takes a small amout of hourse power to run the compressor but that is expected. (Woludn't make any diffeence I dont't think, even if both doors and the roof were off.)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree and think It all to do with the new design- impossible to clean- muffler arrestor being blocked with soot . I would ask if the earlier year model would fit. Reminds me of the old kind catalytic converters.... and how folks would fix them.. course I know that would defeat the mufflers purpose ..and besides it is brand new.. collie

King

On the Kubota web site they say the new models have better heating and cooling maybe they have a bigger compressor on the ac side that takes more hp to run and only being 25 hp any drop from an ac unit would directly lower the top speed . The non cab model does 29 mph with no ac. These things are pretty touchy on how much weight and load is on the engine because they don't have a lot of hp to spare. I would open up that exhaust as soon as it is out of warranty just might solve the problem too.

I agree and think It all to do with the new design- impossible to clean- muffler arrestor being blocked with soot . I would ask if the earlier year model would fit. Reminds me of the old kind catalytic converters.... and how folks would fix them.. course I know that would defeat the mufflers purpose ..and besides it is brand new.. collie

border I seriously doubt that it's soot. In 8+ years and I can't tell you how many thousands of hours I never once cleaned the spark arrestor on the old 900. The muffler was replaced once because stuff fell apart inside and it rattled like heck but that was in the first few months of ownership. Warranty covered the replacement. NOW I can not swear that the few times the dealer worked on it that they didn't clean it, but they never mentioned it to me. I just threw away the service check list on that machine, darn, I could have checked if it was done. Or isn't it even on the list?