Arg not my day, -20f and my x1100c

Xeno555

It starts (or in this case, not) with it -20f and a no start.

Pay attention, it is a bit in R, so...

That night the heat lamp slips and melts hole on battery.

While removing the old battery, it clips the bottom and dumps 1/2 cup of acid into my lap.
(That slippery soap feel, is actually you being emulsified)

Bought new HD start/deep cycle, had to replace ground, due to post being in front side of battery. (More convenient anyhow) replaced with 1 gage 24".

-2 Pairs of pants (don't ask)
-1 Pair of boots
-1 Shirt

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the coldest i have ever started my x1100c and the 07 1100 and even the mx5100 was -25F. i used plenty of additive to the diesel fuel so no gelling and from my caterpillar experience i held the glow plugs on for 2 minutes before cranking and then after it starts hold the glow plugs on until the engine stops stumbling and then add glow as necessary. no heat or garage . just out in the open.

SVG

My old 900 doesn't like it much below 10F. So I added the OEM block heater. Works well when used.
I also do something that is definitely not recommended but seems to work for me. I squirt a very small amount of ether into the air filter housing. Works everytime (I use this method very infrequently).

Xeno555

All is good till -15f with 10 sec on plugs, while in N. Anti gel of course.

Not looking for any more future tests this year.

Back to work:

ItBmine

Mine too. It starts at minus 15*F with just 3 to 5 seconds of glow plug. It's in a shed that is open on one end.
Been minus 40 before windchill here lately but when it's like that I usually plug it in for an hour to make it easier on it.

My Kubota tractor is the same. That thing never has trouble starting.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Mine was acting up pretty bad at 14 deg F last year.. a little sea foam in the fuel solved that issue.
Must have been gelling up the fuel with the COLD . I hate that kinds cold.

coobie

MINE starts at -20 below with NO problems.It helps if you have the shift lever in the neutral position ..Just saying.:rolleyes: