Big Square balers

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT farminfirefighter. I don't have any experience with balers, but we're glad you joined up here. Enjoy.

Mith

With hilly ground the most important thing to consider is will the weight of the baler be too much for the tractor to stop on the downhill sections.

I dont know the weight of your tractor, or the balers you are considering, so I've no idea how well suited the tractor is to the job, but its something to think about.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome...I am planning on 3x3 bales that weigh approx. 700 lbs...a friend of mine said i would probably need 130 hp range tractor...my local dealer has a good 4440 on the lot so I might trade up...I just dont want to get to big as to limit myself to a 1000 pto only tractor

xlr82v2

Thanks for the welcome...I am planning on 3x3 bales that weigh approx. 700 lbs...a friend of mine said i would probably need 130 hp range tractor...my local dealer has a good 4440 on the lot so I might trade up...I just dont want to get to big as to limit myself to a 1000 pto only tractor

I think the 4440 still has 540 PTO as well as 1000rpm... Not sure, but I think even the big 4640 and 4840 even have 540 rpm PTO...

Grrrr

You won't have much fun pulling that baler with 110HP.

It will push you all over the place going down and you will struggle to pull it up hill. On the flat it will be just fine.

Also, if you try to engage the baler PTO at low RPMs the engine will stall, if you try to do it at high RPMs the shear bolt will break :pat:

What model baler are you looking at exactly. Some of them vary in power requirements a lot.