Bolts to keep an eye on...

RedAnt

The 3pt hitch lower arms attach on the tractor side with a pin that is held in place with a bolt. Shortly after losing the bolt the lower arm pin falls out and your next hitch raise fails to lift one side.

I was snow blowing my parking area on Thursday. Like everybody, I become habitualized to repetitive patterns. Back up blowing snow, raise the blower (auto pto enabled) drive forward to line up for the next backward pass. Cleaning the area in 6 foot strips, both sides of the house. Thanks to the rear mirrors I caught a glimpse of something wrong after turning around and starting forward motion.

I saw the blower diagonal, with one side up and the other down. My first thought was that I had broken my blower. I lowered the hitch and couldn't see anything wrong. After raising it again I could see it was the tractor side that was disconnected. After getting out and looking closely at the connected side all was clear. I located the pin, but the set bolt was not in sight. The pin could be slid back in place for transport back to the garage.

I found a correct length and diameter bolt but it had corser threads, confirmed by removing and inspecting the intact side. The dealer was still open and took one off a new DK40 to get me running again.

Anyone else have a loose bolt that I should be suspicious of?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about the issue but really glad to hear it was an easy fix.

Anyone else have a loose bolt that I should be suspicious of?
I can't think of any particular bolts but most everyone I know tells me I have a screw loose.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Red Ant. I don't know of any bolt problems but when you grease the front end of the DK40se... read the manual on the amount . It will over flow on the "inside"....where you can't see. and could mess up there... bordercollie

Rider7767

Site Supporter
I have ran across several bolts loose from my handles to the loader mount during my 100 hr service. I put "Lock Tight" on them, but I will still check ever 100 hours.

RedAnt

I have ran across several bolts loose from my handles to the loader mount during my 100 hr service. I put "Lock Tight" on them, but I will still check ever 100 hours.

Thanks. I'll look through that linkage to see if I have anything coming loose.

RedAnt

Hi Red Ant. I don't know of any bolt problems but when you grease the front end of the DK40se... read the manual on the amount . It will over flow on the "inside"....where you can't see. and could mess up there... bordercollie

I might have already done something bad. I assume you're talking about the fittings on the "front axle" (I looked up the ?correct? name online for what I would have called a steering head). I remember it taking lots of greese and eventually figuring that it must be enough. Hopefully damage isn't done with a single (or two) over greasing.

I was more worried about the two grease nipples that I couldn't get anything into. The two that I didn't seem to take any grease are:

1. The front steering "pinion" fitting.

2. The 3pt hitch lower arm pivot fitting.

The dealer told me that they may just be tight, and need to wear in a little before they will take much. Especially the lower arm pivot. He gave me a grease nipple to swap out on the center steering fitting. He stated the the location of the center steering grease fitting is exposed to damage which could have the observed affect.

RedAnt

Lost a FEL pin keeper bolt.

Not sure exactly what to call the bolt (I know I should take a picture...).

The all of the FEL joints have greased pins, and a keeper bolt to hold the pin in place. The right hand top keep bolt for the pin that connects the FEL to the tractor went missing. I noticed during a greasing, and picked up a temporary replacement at TSC until I could get to the Kioti dealer for the correct replacement.

Once I noticed I checked all the other FEL pin keeper bolts. Many of which seemed too loose.

Some day I'll take pictures of both bolts that I've lost.

After a long overdue trip to the dealer I now have spares for both. And some shinny new filters that need to be installed.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
IIRC, my manual says to tighten those bolts to 85 ft. lbs., but then my memory is, well, ....

Anyway, checked my loader mounting bolts at 15 hours last weekend, found three of 'em to be a bit loose, but didn't think to check those keeper bolts. You can bet your sweet bippy I'll be checking them before I use it again!

Thanks

Fred