Buzzer for emergency brake.

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
I have a 2010 1100CWX that has a light in the dash panel for when you put on the emergency brake. When I use it before I exit and come back later the steering wheel is in the wrong position so you don't see it.
My solution was to put a buzzer under the brake arm. I took a push button, normally closed (refrigerator push button), a piezo electric buzzer (3- 12 DCV.) and mounted them in a small plastic box about an 1" high ( I used a top part of a old chain saw blade two part box and shorten it and sealed the end with duct tape, quiets the sound some. Note they don’t sell them in this type box anymore. Mounted the whole thing under the brake arm (with the button lining up with the arm) with industrial strength Velcro. I daisy chain 4 capacitors to make it pulse beep (you can find one that does without modifying but a little higher priced). For power, after removing lower side cover I found a 4 connector plug separate from the panel under the second fuse panel. I located one that turns off with key switch. Ground wire was at the mount for a celluloid.

Probably more than one way to do this but had all but one item to make this.

Here are some parts I used:
https://www.amazon.com/BQLZR-Plasti...Code=xm2&tag=bdyahoo-desk-20&m=A35C93BBDX68G6

https://www.amazon.com/GBSTORE-9-15...ons&keywords=Buzzer,+piezo-electric,+DC&psc=1

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great idea!

I've just trained myself to instinctively set the brake when I stop and release it before I take off. I do set my parking brake hard enough that I'll feel the grab if I go to take off without releasing it. My ATV doesn't even have a light so I have the same routine there.

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
Great idea!

I've just trained myself to instinctively set the brake when I stop and release it before I take off. I do set my parking brake hard enough that I'll feel the grab if I go to take off without releasing it. My ATV doesn't even have a light so I have the same routine there.

I'm to old. :yum:

ovrszd

Great idea!!!

I hear ya on the too old part......

I set mine hard too. Almost impossible to drive away with it on.

So if I set the brake with the engine running it's beeping?? Would there be some way to use the neutral start switch in this process?? So if the RVT is in neutral and running the beeper doesn't go off?? So if you crank the machine in neutral with brake set, no beep, put machine in gear and beep starts??? That would be very cool!!!!!

How would a person do that? Power the beeper using a relay that's tripped when machine is put into any gear??

I just noticed the other day my park brake light doesn't work anymore. Don't know when it quit since I never look at it.

Good stuff!!!! Great idea OM44!!!

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
That might be a challenge to do that. With the buzzer in a box the sound is not loud because it pulses. You can stuff cotton balls in it or tape over the buzzer if it is.

ovrszd

We need the buzzer to be loud enough to easily hear it with the engine running.

Would require involvement from the park brake switch corcuit and the neutral switch circuit. That would get a bit complicated.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Would an option to be adding a small strobe light to catch your attention? Could be mounted somewhere in your line of sight like on the ROPS or something.

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
Would an option to be adding a small strobe light to catch your attention? Could be mounted somewhere in your line of sight like on the ROPS or something.

Sure that would work too. Mine is loud enough to hear above the motor but not real loud to be annoying.

matthaasen

This has been a problem with me as well (forgetting to release the E brake). I finally got around to installing some flashing red lights around the ROPS to remind me to release the brake. A bit overkill, but I won't be forgetting again. I used a relay and took the negative 'trigger' from the existing microswitch on the E brake to trigger the relay.

Attachments

• vNxToRf0Q72B6xX3kU2Tpw.jpg
    vNxToRf0Q72B6xX3kU2Tpw.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I am wondering if one can tap into the emergency brake idiot light that is there and have it power the alarm? I‘ll investigate when I get a chance.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would need an electric fence energizer wired to the seat with a disconnect to the ebrake! and i still might forget. "sarcasm" the buzzer is a good idea.