Changing power steering hoses to the cylinder 230 1980?

I have removed some of the tractor sheet metal trying to get to the “steering” head - Does anyone know if it will help or necessary to remove the steering wheel to do the repair? I have the difficult to find hoses in route to me - no instructions on line that I can find and no instructions in manual.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I’m new to this forum and trying to find my way around.

Respectfully,

Cylinderrepairman1953

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
I'd suggest you go to youtube and search for "MF 230 power steering". There's some videos there showing fixes.

Welcome to the forum.
I'd suggest you go to youtube and search for "MF 230 power steering". There's some videos there showing fixes.
That’s what I’ve tried for days! It’s something that someone somewhere has done! Lol - I really don’t want to remove the steering wheel - cowl- and dash unless I really need to. There is also a heavy battery box over the steering head - if I can figure out how to remove that? Anyways thanks for you input!

Respectfully,

Cylinderrepairman1953

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry I can't help more. Don't have a MF. A friend has a 135 but it's in the next State over so I can't really go take a look at it.

bczoom - thanks again for your input. We ended up pulling the steering wheel and the dash assembly and loosening
dash cowl that the dash bolts to - remove the battery and then we were able to remove the steering hose assemblies
attached to the steering cylinder and the other ends attached to the left side of steering head. We only had to detach
the rpm cable - the oil pressure line and the voltage gauge wire And we were able to move dash to the right side slightly
to access the top of the hose assemblies.

Thanks Everyone !

Respectfully,

cylinderrepairman1953