Clutch problems with used TYM T254 tractor

Chele

Bought a used tractor with only 120 hours. However, after about 5 to 10 minutes of running tractor (after it warms up?) it starts grinding when it goes into gear. When this happens, when I push in the clutch it makes a chatter like it's making something spin and will grind if I try to put it in gear. Dealer said tractor sat for a while. Could clutch be bad on such a low hour tractor? Thanks..

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Wish it was under better circumstances.
I don't have that tractor but if it's like most others, it sounds like your clutch is frozen. Pretty common when tractors have sat for long periods.
Do an internet search for "tractor clutch is frozen". You'll get several hits on what it is and different tricks on getting it freed up. (There's too many options for me to list them all for you). Rare, but worst case, you may have to tear your tractor in half.
Once you do get it unfrozen, I'd suggest you get a clamp of some sort and when you park your tractor at the end of the day, clamp the clutch pedal to the floor to avoid a recurrence of the issue.
Good luck and let us know how it goes and which method worked for you.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry, I missed that it works sometimes.
Does your tractor have a 2-stage clutch?
When this issue happens, do you have anything running off the PTO?

Chele

No, I just got tractor. Haven't had a chance to hook anything to PTO. Wierd thing, everything runs fine for 5 or 10 min. Also, sometimes it will put out a lot of smoke briefly, but again, only after running it for 5 to 10 minutes.

Specs say Dry Single Plate for clutch

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like issues once the oil gets hot.
I'd check the hydro oil level to make sure it's good. Might want to consider changing the fluid. Also check all related hoses and filters.
You mentioned "dealer" in your first post. Have they been any help or are they willing to help diagnose?

Chele

Yes, I drained and changed trans fluid and axle oil. Dealer suggested I make sure clutch pedal was adjusted as far as possible while still leaving a little play to make sure I didn't adjust it too far. None of that helped. I've reached back out to the dealer but haven't heard back from him yet. He says it is still under warrantee even though it's used, but not a good sign if clutch and engine aren't working right with only 120 hrs on it.

Fedup

Still under WHAT warranty? Warranty is short lived and awfully picky when dry clutches are involved. If your dealer says it's covered, you better get him on it before that changes. The longer you wait around fooling with it yourself, the better the chances you wind up holding the bag.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Check with your dealer about that warranty. It needs to be in good shape before it goes out. Otherwise. we call it being up the creek without a paddle or being " left holding the bag."

Reactions: Doc

Chele

Dealer said he thinks clutch plate must have some rust on it from sitting and the more I drive it the better it should be. He said to just slightly engage the clutch pedal to try to sand the rust off the plate. Does that sound reasonable? I don't want to do anything to make it worse. The part I don't understand is that it doesn't do it until after it runs five or ten minutes. If clutch plate was rusty, I don't understand how "warming up" would change anything. Thanks.

Fedup

Sounds like the dealer doesn't really want to do much for you. "Sanding the rust off" is more of a stall than a fix. And yes, it doesn't make sense to work when cold then act up. Something in there "ain't quite right".