copperhead

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
While riding with my son along our trail to the boat docks he spotted this snake. Camouflaged and very hard to see. Once he pointed him out to me we backed up and looked closer. Looks like a copperhead. Kill it if we can. Surprisingly it did not move quickly out of the way the first time the knobby tires ran over it. So we did it a few more time till it looked like the pic below.

We went on down to his boat, dropped him off to take his boat to the ramp and I headed back up the trail to get the truck and trailer. I decided to cruise by the snake for a pic and took this one and damn if it didn't move and open it's mouth as if to bite. I was amazed but then put it out of it's misery.

I've been living here 20+ years and this is the first copperhead I've seen. All other snakes I say live and let live. Copperheads are the exception.

copperheadOnOurTrail1.jpeg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
From a friend:
Black snakes/cow snakes/ will not only kill poisonous snakes but just having them around will keep poisonous snakes away by an odor they emit.

Here is a black snake killing a copperhead.
BlackSnakeKillingACopperhead.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc !!!! Copperheads are mean and grumpy so I am really scared of them . A little copperhead bit my bil's brother on the sidewalk coming from his garden a few years ago. He was sick as stink and it cost him about 10 grand in hospital bills including the the anti venom.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:wow: I never considered the cost that would be involved if one got bit. Dang. That is horrible.