Cylinder full of oil

PJA

Hello, I’m new here. This is the first forum I have ever joined even though I have browsed through threads over the years to find information. I am at a loss and hope someone can help me figure this out. I bought a 2014 Kubota rtv x900 two months ago and after getting it home found two problems. 1 won't go over 6-7 mph (Which I think Ill let the Kubota dealer fix.) 2 It is getting hot after about 20 minutes. After flushing radiator, eliminating air bubbles, new thermostat, rad cap etc I pulled the head to find blown gasket. Had head checked. No cracks but slight warp .004. Machinist said would probably be ok. reinstalled with new gasket, Not ok. So I ordered an aftermarket head same part # as shown on Messicks site. Installed with new head gasket and vacuum/pressure checked. OK.Started to turn over engine to bleed fuel lines and it locked up. Removed head and back cylinder was full of OIL???? I don't know how this could possibly happen. Any help would be appreciated.

PJA

Thanks for the reply, I figure there are people on here a lot smarter than me on these Kubota. This is the first one for me.

v10rick

Site Supporter
I replaced the head on my RTV900 with a new eBay part and it worked OK.
There was a crack in the head above cylinder #2.
It would overheat when climbing a hill.

Before installing the new head did you check the engine block deck for flatness?
Closely examine cylinder that is filling with oil to check for wall scoring.

Could be a broken piston ring or cracked block.

The Kubota engines are tough but running without coolant is never a good thing.
A freezeout plug was missing from mine.

Last edited:

PJA

I replaced the head on my RTV900 with a new eBay part and it worked OK.
There was a crack in the head above cylinder #2.
It would overheat when climbing a hill.

Before installing the new head did you check the engine block deck for flatness?
Closely examine cylinder that is filling with oil to check for wall scoring.

Could be a broken piston ring or cracked block.

The Kubota engines are tough but running without coolant is never a good thing.
A freezeout plug was missing from mine.
Hope you got yours going. I got side tracked a few days doing things around the place. Yes I did examine those things best I could. Today rechecked, no visible crack in block and rechecked for warpage. couldn't get my smallest feeler gauge (.0015) under my straight edge (not machinist grade). Piston was as tight as the others(sometimes when rings get tempered from over heating you can move them sideways in cylinder). Don't know about a broke ring? I installed head with previous gasket and connected water hoses and pressure checked at 15 # and 25 minutes later still holding so the gasket not leaking and no warp. Tomorrow will turn the engine over (Not to start isn't all hooked up) and see if oil comes out injector hole. If not I may hook it back up after I get the injectors checked out.