Drive Shaft Info

texasjohn

Very well written and illustrated example of home made "fix" to the drive shaft rattle problem..... innovative use of materials and tools many of us have. Unclear what the longevity of this fix will be but seems that it is a solid idea and should do no harm.

Red Beard

Since the splines don't have to slide after assembly, why not just use RC640 or 680 Loctite on them and be done with it. If you ever have to take them apart you would have to warm them up, but they wouldn't rattle. I've done this to worn out flywheel splines on up to JD R's and it always held!

cov62431

We had used this procedure on a few of the 900's in our fleet. It is a really good idea, but the longevity of it is a big question. Guess it would be relevant to how much you use your Kubota. I wouldn't use the loctite. When we got a couple of the units back, I noticed that the shaft coupling would still wobble one way. They would wobble as if they used the setscrews as a hinge. We tried to tighten them again only to find that the setscrews were rusted solid into the holes which led to us stripping them. Our units were used quite a bit so it's hard to say how long it actually lasted before it loosened up. Going back to work now , i'LL FININSH AT MY NEXT BREAK.

cov62431

Boy it's hard to reply at work... takes me too long to type. Back to my expierience. You may be able to use stainless set screws, maybe even a bit of loctite as Red Beard suggested. We used alloy set screws which rusted, and loctite would have just made it harder on us. One thing to keep in mind is that at some point you will probably have to change these shafts anyway. The greaseless u-joints will fail at some point. We haven't found a greaseable u-joint yet, you have to buy the whole shaft. We started using the one piece shaft, although it is expensive. We have had better luck though.