Faded camo doors

Tact

Starting to fix the RTV up some. Really excited after getting new tires, so I decided to get the doors out of storeage and stretch the fabric back out on the camo doors before putting them on for the colder months coming up. The velcro had come unglued all the way around, so I fixed that.

over the last several years I had noticed the camo fabric was becoming faded from the original camo color. Now the doors look like a pinkish/purplish faded camo color. Really looks like crap next to the camo color still on the RTV fenders, hood and bed. I have a Curtis cab enclosure if anyone is familiar with that. I'll try to take some pics later to show what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, does anyone have any idea how to restore the camo color to be even somewhat close to what it was before? I've heard of a product called Camo Restore, but I haven't read any good reviews of the product, nor do I think I can wash this fabric in the washing machine. it needs to remain on the metal frame.

I actually thought of spraying a fine mist of paint over the fabric, hoping to wash out the pinkish tone to it, but I'm afraid I'll mess it up.

Any ideas or things some of you might have done with some success?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good Lord...that's ugly!

Agreed. :bonk:

What about talking to Curtis? They might replace them or at least sell the fabric parts at a reasonable price.

Jim

Tact

Agreed. :bonk:

What about talking to Curtis? They might replace them or at least sell the fabric parts at a reasonable price.

Jim

Jim,

I thought about that, but I wanted to go the cheap route first. If I screw it up I guess I could call them for pricing. I'm afraid to see what their cost is though.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jim has a good thought about getting hold of Curtis for some good PR and customer relations.........What about some silicone heavy duty stuff like Armoral.

Tact

I contacted Curtis Cab this morning and their rep stated that because of this fading issue with their camo pattern fabric that they no longer offer these skins in camo any longer. They only offer black fabric skins and I could only buy those from my dealer.

Now I'm just thinking of spray painting the fabric and it is still in great shape. So the question is do I paint it black....brown.....or another color?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So it's fabric (like a cloth material)?

If so, I'd consider getting some Fabric dye and using that. If the skin can't be removed, get a spray bottle, mix the solution then spray it on.

I've used Rit dye and it works well on shirts and such.
https://www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Liqu...&qid=1478544425&sr=8-1&keywords=Rit+dye+green

It comes in different colors but I'd probably start with dark green. Babysit it until it gets to about the color you want then hose off the doors so they don't get any darker. (kind of like running it through the clothes washer then letting it to go rinse cycle).

Tact

Well....I got impatient and decided to spray them with a light coat of black paint. Camo bled through just a little, but they sure as heck look better than the purple color that they were.

Attachments

• 20161107_130352_resized.jpg
    20161107_130352_resized.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 67

Tact

Turned out more of a dark brown......somewhat. :)

I know.....my garage exterior doors need refinished! :)

Attachments

• 20161107_143300_resized.jpg
    20161107_143300_resized.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 68