Fuel filter

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I always dread changing the oem fuel filter on the RTV900. It shouldn't be hard, but it is in a really bad place and the fuel hose.....well the hose is just too blame short coming from the tank... There is no room to manipulate it while you undo the clamps and pinch the hoses. I have somewhat small hands and I just about lose my temper everytime I do this. So next time, I intend to put one of the better filters on with the screw off bowl and put it on. now that will be so much easier.. but until then...

For those newbies that have never changed your before, this is what I do (which may vary with other owners because sometimes I do things differently)
First, I remove the panel there by the air intake canister. To give more room.
Then I undo the little bolt holding the clamp (with the nut welded on it) that holds the filter.
I clamp or "pinch" the hoses with rubber covered vice grip pliers etc..to prevent diesel from going everywhere. If they are sharp pliers,, then you could ruin your hose..
Next, using a pair of pliers move the hose clamps a bit, and wiggle the fuel lines to get the filter free.
The next step (for me )is to place the new filter in the bracket clamp (make sure it is going the right way) I will tighten the clamp later.
I put the hose from the tank on the filter first and let diesel flow out the other end after removing that hose "pincher..." this fills the filter and removes a lot of air- saves a lot of aggravation too.
After it is full of diesel, I slip on the other end and remove that hose pincher.
Now I make sure all hose clamps are correctly back in the original places.
Its time to finagle and get that bolt started in the bracket .. Shouldn't be hard but... it you have spread the bracket much at all when you took the filter out, then , the holes won't line up easily.. so be careful about that..
check for leaks and start up,replace panel etc...
When I follow this procedure my RTV hardly misses on first crank as the filter is already full of diesel.
Disclaimer: This is the way I do the change and the way you do it is your call. I posted this to give new folks something to think about.. bordercollie

Attachments

• 0704141159.jpg
    0704141159.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 170
  • 0704141213.jpg
    0704141213.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 0704141227.jpg
    0704141227.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 0704141230.jpg
    0704141230.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 166

Popo1945

Collie, I too hated to change the factory filter & lose my temper cause it's hard to get at & no room. So, I eliminated it & replaced it with a marine spin-on that also helps in eliminating water. There was a post titled "RPV 900 Fuel Filter" dated 3-26-13. I posted some info & pics if u r interested.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There was a post titled "RPV 900 Fuel Filter" dated 3-26-13. I posted some info & pics if u r interested.

Yes, I remember that; but didnt try to look it up......GOOD stuff......MAYBE you could copy and paste the link here???????......or actually perhaps needs to be in the first thread about "Useful RTV threads"......God bless......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Collie, I too hated to change the factory filter & lose my temper cause it's hard to get at & no room. So, I eliminated it & replaced it with a marine spin-on that also helps in eliminating water. There was a post titled "RPV 900 Fuel Filter" dated 3-26-13. I posted some info & pics if u r interested.

Thank you Popo1945. I am interested for sure . Please feel free to post a link here for that. :tiphat: collie

Popo , I found it and this is a link to it. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15020 collie

Anyone else feel welcomed to post what you have tried.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I know Kubota has screw on filter kits that will fit. Don't know where I filed the paperwork I got from my Kubota man. But they do make one.

Just have not got around to doing ours here.

........... jamie