Fuel Gauge Wiring

abunk79

Someone replaced the fuel gauge with an aftermarket gauge and I want to go back with a Kubota gauge. They cut the 8-pin connector off and there are just terminated wires on the gauge now. Can someone take some pictures or explain to me what wires go where in the 8pin connector that plugs into the gauge?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Here are some pictures off of my 2011 900xt fuel gauge. Hope it helps.. bordercollie

Attachments

• 2013-09-09 11.46.42.jpg
    2013-09-09 11.46.42.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 2013-09-09 11.47.24.jpg
    2013-09-09 11.47.24.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 2013-09-09 11.48.20.jpg
    2013-09-09 11.48.20.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 112
  • 2013-09-09 11.46.57.jpg
    2013-09-09 11.46.57.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 112

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
There is a difference between the 2011 and previous models. Not sure what year the change occurred, but there is a difference. I found out when looking at information from a shop manual for earlier years.

Let me know what year model you have and I'll attempt to send some manual information to you.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Hopefully, I've attached shop manual information that may assist with the fuel gauge wiring.

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 108
  • gauges & horn rev1.jpg
    gauges & horn rev1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 106

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
I have 2008 RTV900, fuel and temperature gauge have stopped working, both been doing erratic things when going over rough ground. Anyone have idea what's wrong?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have you reached around back and made sure they are plugged in well? Strange for BOTH of them to act up together as they are both pretty much independent...........God bless......Dennis

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Have you reached around back and made sure they are plugged in well? Strange for BOTH of them to act up together as they are both pretty much independent...........God bless......Dennis

I was thinking the same thing as Dennis ......

Don't know about anyone else. But when I have the opportunity. I put
DIELECTRIC GREASE on all my electrical connections.

The application of any sort of a nonconductive grease to the actual contacts themselves does not help them make better contact at that point, but helps
keep away corrosion, ..... corrosion makes conectors loose contact .....

Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector.

Use on the outside of a conection helps keep any stray electric contained !

........ two guns

Attachments

• Mercat.jpg
    Mercat.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 91

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have 2008 RTV900, fuel and temperature gauge have stopped working, both been doing erratic things when going over rough ground. Anyone have idea what's wrong?

I would check the ground wire/cable too. If you could turn on your headlights and maybe put a mirror etc on the bumper to see if they also do the same thing.If so I would guess the main ground. If not it must be in the wiring glob going to the gauges. Good Luck. bordercollie

edit: Like Two Guns says. that dielectric grease is good stuff! It keeps the tail light bulbs from rusting in place too.
Also do the lights on the gauges still work?

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
Head lights working even the lights in temp and water gauges are all good
the two gauges and hour merter Not working!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Head lights working even the lights in temp and water gauges are all good
the two gauges and hour merter Not working!

Weird SheepFarmer. The manual page that pepr posted tells how to test the gauges. The fact that rough terrain makes it act strange seems to make me think a loose wire somewhere... So the lights in the meters stay constant on the rough terrain and the indicator needles go nuts? collie

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes all stopped. At the same time the lights sill working
And every think. Else
I think it in wireing some where for it all to stop. At once

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
Cleaned eath strap under bonnet it all good
but sill no hour temp or fuel gauges not going nuts anymore there all dead now there not a fuse for them is there?

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My kubota lawn mower did the same thing. Ended up being a wire that rubbed until it broke. only thing holding it together was a piece of the rubber sheath. Traced the wires and found it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sheepfarmer. There is a fuse(s) . Raise up the cargo bed and look there in the box on the backside of the backrest. It shows 15 a in the book. I am the worst at electric stuff and try everything till something works. collie

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Let's see if I can do this right.. You'll need to overlap them though.. good luck and get some Advil- you might need a box full ;) bordercollie

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 80

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
thanks all for input.
I hate wireing problems!!

the pos + wire in hour ,temp,fuel gauge are all joined then thay feed into a pos+ wire in main lome which must be broken some where .
so i found spare pos+ wire comeing out the main lome so put a white wire into it and joined up to the hour, temp,fuel gauge .
now works fine .
byepassing the broken wire saved me a lot work.
seeing had a broken pos+ wire some where in the main wireing lome.
try to find it was not looking really good!!
here some pics of what I did
just like to thakyou all for a help
all of us aussie rtv owners be lost with out all help from you great u.s.a rtv owners .
big thanks from me again!!

Attachments

• WP_000312.jpg
    WP_000312.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 65
  • WP_000314.jpg
    WP_000314.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 62