Fuel injectors

Big Mac

My son-in-law sent over a project. It has a Mitsubishi K 3-D engine. It’s a Toro ground master mower. it turned over but wouldn’t start. It wasn’t getting any fuel to the fuel injection pump, so I check the fuel pump and it didn’t work. Replace the pump, and bled the injector pump and the three injectors. I know I want to remove the injectors, but I’m not sure how they’re secured in the block. They have a collar with two bolts, holding the injector to the block, but I’ve removed those and the injector still seems to be held in position. what’s the best way to Loosen and remove the injector?

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpeg
    IMG_0763.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a service manual for that engine. I'd think the answer is in there.

Attachments

• MITSUBISHI ENGINE K3A K3B K3C K3D K3E SERVICE MANUAL.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 2

Big Mac

Here's a service manual for that engine. I'd think the answer is in there.
I’ve got a copy of the service manual and the parts manual. The service manual is pretty brief on the subject. it only states to remove the two bolts, holding the injector housing collar to the head and then remove the injector Housing. The parts manual shows a pretty good description of the injector housing,fuel nozzle holder, and the injector. I could be wrong, but it appears to me. The whole apparatus is just pressed into the head, by the pressure of the two bolts on the collar.
Also, when I remove the tubing between the injector pump and the injectors, then crank the engine over two of the open ports, seemed like they squirted a small amount of fuel out, the third one runs freely just from the pressure of the fuel pump. Does that sound normal to you? I don’t know, but I would assume all three would act the same. At first, I thought, maybe it was The position of a cam load against the bottom of the injector pump, but it didn’t change as the engine cranked over.
I appreciate your input and responding to my question in such a timely manner.

Fedup

No, that's not normal. it has a pump problem, so pulling injectors won't find or solve it. They are just stuck. Not at all uncommon. Don't worry about it. Put the collars and nuts back on, that's not where the problem is. The service manual won't tell you how to work on the pump. That's best left to a pump shop as injection pumps are not intended to be homeowner serviceable. I suggest you contact one, describe your circumstances and then decide what to do next. Most anything you do the pump will likely add to the repair bill later.

Big Mac

Thanks for the info Fedup. I appreciate your input, as this thing has me baffled. I did solve the removal of the injector housing. I was able to get two nuts under the collar, and then thread bolts through pushing against the head, which raises the injector hosing out of the head. my plan at this point is to take out the injectors, reattach them to the pump outside of the engine and bleed them, then crank the engine over to see what the injectors are doing. I think this will further identify where the problem is, however, I agree with you in the final analysis it’s going to be at the pump. How do I find and identify a pump shop that works on this particular type of pump? I would imagine most places that advertise work on automotive type equipment. Do you think my local John Deere shop would be able to recommend somebody? I have one other question, I have heard that some tractor manufacturers use the same parts. Do you know if that’s the case with a Mitsubishi engine? I know the other members on the forum like pictures so I sent a couple along with my idea for the injector, housing pusher, it may help somebody else out in the future. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpeg
    IMG_0770.jpeg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 4

Fedup

Pictures of the injectors don't really help much. Some of the pump might, but yes, your local dealer must have someone they send pumps to and no doubt will share the name and number. Not many dealerships do pump work in house.

Your plan to hook the injectors up on the outside is fine. I've done that before in some cases. It will help identify some of what's going on. If and when they do begin to pop and spray, be careful of the mist they produce, as It can be dangerous to hands and eyes.

Big Mac

Hello boys, the reason I posted the picture of the two bolts with the injectors, was to help illustrate. How i used the bolts to remove the injectors.

I went ahead and removed the injectors, hooked them up outside the engine like I stated I was going to do. when I cranked it over number one was firing off fine 2 and 3 not so good. At that point I figured it was a fuel injector pump situation. Going back to the service manual I had read where there was a torque setting for the nipples that screws into the top of the injection pump. I disassembled the lines again, torque those three nipples on top of the injection pump put the lines back on, bled them and then check the to see if it changed anything. I was surprised to see all three injectors, firing a very fine mist. I put everything back together again with new glow plugs, the engine started and runs fine. I will include a picture of the injector pump with the three nipples as described above. Thanks to everyone on the forum for their help and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1