Green Slime: Service Life?

LATiger

Went out to WallyWorld yesterday and invested in a couple gallon jugs of the Green Slime yesterday and Slimed up my tires. (I use the term invested in because the stuff ain't cheap!) The side of the jug says Slime service life is two years. Have any of you Slime users actually changed your Slime after two years? Or do you let it run longer, and if so how long?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my. 2 years? I go until... it just doesn't work but haven't yet found when exactly that would occur. Granted, I don't have thorns and such to worry about but do pick up a stray nail or screw from time-to-time. I'm at 10 years in some of my vehicles.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Don't worry about the " Two Year Plug".....

Keep 'em a rolling !!!! They will seal >>>>>

Kanook

Hmmm! This thread has got me to wondering...any one know how this stuff reacts to 20 below zero temperatures?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hmmm! This thread has got me to wondering...any one know how this stuff reacts to 20 below zero temperatures?

Sorry Kanook,
Can't help you there. Don't get that cold down here in gator country >>>>>

loboloco

This is from the Slime FAQ site. not sure how correct this would be under those conditions.

Slime Tire Sealants can be used in relatively extreme conditions. Slime will not freeze solid in extreme cold, but the viscosity may increase. As soon as the tire is in rotation, friction will create heat and that heat will bring the sealant back to its normal viscosity.

Kanook

Loboloco....thanks, I doubt enough heat could be generated by spinning my RTVs tires to warm the goop up at sub zero temperatures but was more concerned with having frozen blocks of green slime clunking around in my tires while pushing snow.
Twoguns....It's still warm up here...only 20f at night, don't even have to plug in the engine block heater...shorts and t-shirt weather.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Oh my. 2 years? I go until... it just doesn't work but haven't yet found when exactly that would occur. Granted, I don't have thorns and such to worry about but do pick up a stray nail or screw from time-to-time. I'm at 10 years in some of my vehicles.

I'm with zoomer. I don't think that I've ever changed it out. I can't even remember when I put it in some of my tires. If it stops working I'll pour some more in and away we'll go for another decade. :whistling:

DocGP

Just to play devils advocate, how in the HECK would you get the old stuff out of the tires???? You would have to take it completely off the rim and scoop it out I guess.

Doc

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Just to play devils advocate, how in the HECK would you get the old stuff out of the tires???? You would have to take it completely off the rim and scoop it out I guess.

Doc

I guess that you're right there. I can't see any other way either. It's much easier to leave it in there and pour in some more if you need to.