Hard to shift RTV 500

richiepug

I have a new RTV 500 and it is hard to get into and out of High and Reverse can this be corrected by an adjustment?

Captain

Adjusting HST for easier shifting

I did the "jack it up" and find "true neutral" advise from mstordahl. It made all the difference in shifting easier. The 500 and 900 have HST plus transmissions, so it should be good advise for the 500.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First thing that you need to check is to jack the rear tires off the ground and see if the transmission is causing the unit to creep. If it is, this will cause constant pressure on the transmission, not allowing the dump valve to do its job.
So what you need to do is:
Jack the rear tires off the ground and block the front tires.
Start the engine, release the park brake and put trans into hi range.
Find the throttle lever on the side of the injection pump. There are only 2, one is the fuel stop that has the engine stop solenoid holding it, and the throttle lever has the throttle cable going to it. Now what you want to do is rev the engine to maximum by the throttle lever.
If when you rev the engine the rear tires move AT ALL, you need to adjust the hst neutral.
If they dont turn, the dump valve needs adjusting.

I will look tomorrow on my work computer and get the instructions on how to adjust the dump valve as per Kubota in case you do need to do that.

Matt

Re: Kubota RTV 900 problems?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it does creep then you need to adjust that first and that should make a world of difference. On the transmission, there is a servo valve, it is black and on the top. There is a lever on the top of the servo valve with an adjustable link going from the lever to the hst linkage further up the side of the trans. That link is the one that you want to adjust. You can center the hst with that link, but it can be touchy, so do it in small increments. Loosen both of the jam nuts, on each end, then with the back tires off the ground like how you check for the creep, rev the engine to maximum with the trans. in neutral. If it does, adjust the link until it stops. It is very important that you have the engine revs at max for this though so it is more sensitive and you get a more accurate neutral. Let me know how this works, but it will just slide out of gear every time if it doesnt creep, and you shift correctly as I have directed.

Matt

11-23-2009, 12:04 PM

Last edited:

DIXIEDOG

I did the "jack it up" and find "true neutral" advise from mstordahl. It made all the difference in shifting easier. The 500 and 900 have HST plus transmissions, so it should be good advise for the 500.

First thing that you need to check is to jack the rear tires off the ground and see if the transmission is causing the unit to creep. If it is, this will cause constant pressure on the transmission, not allowing the dump valve to do its job.
So what you need to do is:
Jack the rear tires off the ground and block the front tires.
Start the engine, release the park brake and put trans into hi range.
Find the throttle lever on the side of the injection pump. There are only 2, one is the fuel stop that has the engine stop solenoid holding it, and the throttle lever has the throttle cable going to it. Now what you want to do is rev the engine to maximum by the throttle lever.
If when you rev the engine the rear tires move AT ALL, you need to adjust the hst neutral.
If they dont turn, the dump valve needs adjusting.

I will look tomorrow on my work computer and get the instructions on how to adjust the dump valve as per Kubota in case you do need to do that.

Matt

Re: Kubota RTV 900 problems?

If it does creep then you need to adjust that first and that should make a world of difference. On the transmission, there is a servo valve, it is black and on the top. There is a lever on the top of the servo valve with an adjustable link going from the lever to the hst linkage further up the side of the trans. That link is the one that you want to adjust. You can center the hst with that link, but it can be touchy, so do it in small increments. Loosen both of the jam nuts, on each end, then with the back tires off the ground like how you check for the creep, rev the engine to maximum with the trans. in neutral. If it does, adjust the link until it stops. It is very important that you have the engine revs at max for this though so it is more sensitive and you get a more accurate neutral. Let me know how this works, but it will just slide out of gear every time if it doesnt creep, and you shift correctly as I have directed.

Matt

11-23-2009, 12:04 PM

Is that advice for finding true neutral applicable to 500 models as well? It is my understanding that to adjust true zero there is also an adjusting screw to neutralize pressure from the forward and reverse ports of the hydraulic unit.