Hartford Construction Show (a.k.a., "Conex CT")

Dougster

Old Member
Went to the Hartford, CT construction equipment & services show yesterday in the rain. This is the essentially the Connecticut version of the same spring construction show I attended in Boston 2 weeks ago.

The Hartford show was much more alive, vibrant and well-attended than the Boston show. The considerable industry pessimism I encountered at the Boston show was all but hidden in Hartford... a very welcome change. It was probably still there if you looked for it... but it was NOT the theme of the show like in Boston.

Unlike the Boston show, there was plenty of John Deere equipment to see provided by two JD dealers (one construction focused, one aggie focused)... including a new JD 110 TLB (over which I had mucho discussion) and a magnificent JD 410J... a full-sized backhoe. Unlike Boston, there were also several lime green tractors, mowers and related equipment at the show. Oddly, CAT was not represented at this show. :confused:

I was happy to find many mini-excavators at the show... almost all in the towable weight range. There was a Yanmar, Kubota, Bobcat, Case (built by Kobelco) and IHI. I got to play with them all and stroked all of the dealers on price and "slightly used" availability. Other than Kubota, almost all had used equipment coming off lease and being culled from their short-term rental fleets.

Plenty of skid steers as well... tracked and wheeled... including ASV, Bobcat, New Holland, Gehl and Case. Again, no CATs in sight. Weird.

At this show, Case brought a 580 Super M (instead of the regular M in Boston). From prices and what I saw and was told, it is definitely worthwhile going to the Super M. I liked it a lot!!! But between the 580 Super M and the Deere 410J... I might be inclined to buy the magnificent 410J first once I win that elusive PowerBall lottery. :)

Once again, no Kubota M59 at the show. In fact, no L39 either if memory serves me right. Instead, they had a similarly dressed up tractor with separate seat BH.

The JD 110 TLB was getting a lot of attention but I eventually muscled my way in for some critical questions and a seller demonstration of how they expect an operator to use the hideous flip seat. It was not a pretty demo. In fact, they finally admitted that it made more sense to dismount and remount from the ground rather than for most folks to try to climb over the flipping seat! :(

Also asked about the infamous lack of a suitable skid plate and resulting parts exposed to potential damage. The salesman insisted that this was all part of JD's grand plan. He explained that it was better for all concerned that 110 customers buy a far superior third party skid plate... for less money and greater strength/protection. He hinted that JD and the most popular skid plate manufacturer were kinda in this devious plot together! ;)

In regard to BH digging power (vs. the Kubotas... L39/L48/M59), he explained the company line that the 110 was still considered the optimum machine in a 3/4-ton towable machine market. He pointed to the 110's weight and tire size advantage over the L39... and made the bold statement that specs aside the 110 can out-perform the L39 any day of the week. He also suggested that the 110 could match the performance of the L48 but with much newer and more modern features. In regard to the M59, he punted and suggested that Deere had nothing to gain by building a machine in between the pick-up trailerable 110 and its smallest full-size 310. His statement: If a compact TLB can't be towed around legally, why bother with anything less than a full-size hoe.

There is more to tell, but I'll stop here for now. Time for my late-morning run to Starbucks!!! :D

Dougster :starbucks:

larryRB

That's exactly what it is, spin from the green with yellow wheels company. I've run 110's and own a 48.. the 110 better grow quickly and advance to third grade before another salesman spews that kind of hogwash.

Dougster

Old Member
Interesting...spin of the JD 110TLB...:rolleyes:
Well, there is a little more to tell now that I am back from Starbucks :starbucks:Coffee. I also asked about whether or not sales had dropped in the face of stiff new competition from Kubota. He kinda conceded that sales were down in a very round-about way... albeit citing a recent spurt in sales by one of his local comrades as good news. My real sense after the whole conversation was that Kubota's cheaper L39 must be cleaning Deere's clock in this regard.

And back to the skid plate issue for a second... he said that despite the lack of a stock skid plate from Deere... at least 90% of his 110's go out the door equipped with that 3rd party skid plate.
Oh...Doug...you do realize that LOTTERIES ARE A TAX ON THE MATHEMATICALLY ILLITERATE...:D
But Paul... Lotteries are also the last best hope of certain old folks of the male persuasion (such as moi) who could never save enough for retirement due to certain life-altering legal judgements outside of our control. :( And what I did manage to save post-A&CS has done very poorly in the old 401(k) account... having almost lost it all twice!!! :eek:

If the old Dougster didn't have bad luck, he'd have absolutely no luck at all. :eek:
That's exactly what it is, spin from the green with yellow wheels company. I've run 110's and own a 48.. the 110 better grow quickly and advance to third grade before another salesman spews that kind of hogwash.
Now you see why you should have come with me to the show??? ;) Not only could you have given me a free guided tour of that magnificent JD 410J and the 580 Super M... but you could have destroyed that poor 110 salesman just by mentioning the fact that you (a fairly big guy) are able to swing the seat around from front to back and vice versa in your L48... something he reported to be a near-impossibility for anyone other than a child, contortionist or midget!!! :eek:

larryRB

Yep
And I am willing to bet the salesman giving this 110 speech was Greg from WI Clark. According to him, the 110 can out do anything you put up against it, do it handily and operate almost on air,,,. Occasionally I like to bullshit myself, but every now and then I like listening to real pro's. That's why I usually attend these shows,.

Dougster

Old Member
Yep And I am willing to bet the salesman giving this 110 speech was Greg from WI Clark. According to him, the 110 can out do anything you put up against it, do it handily and operate almost on air,,,. Occasionally I like to bullshit myself, but every now and then I like listening to real pro's. That's why I usually attend these shows,.
But you must admit, Larry, that the 110's big brother is one heck of a fine machine!!! :)

Come on PowerBall!!! Come on PowerBall!!! Come on PowerBall!!! :D

Owning one of these would be my definition of success!!! :thumb:

Attachments

• 410J1.jpg
    410J1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 803
  • 410J2.jpg
    410J2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 871
  • 410J3.jpg
    410J3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 794

Dougster

Old Member
Oh, I love the 310J/SJ too! :) But if you are gonna dream you might as well dream big! :D

I'm not sure the price difference (310SJ vs. 410J) is that significant in the grand scheme of things. Problem is I get budgetary prices on one unit from one dealer and another unit from another dealer... very often apples & oranges in terms of features/options/extras/dealer BS... making it hard to compare. If and when I win that PowerBall lottery, you can be sure I'll have the pencil out and do plenty of shopping & bargaining! :D

Attachments

• backhoes_landing.jpg
    backhoes_landing.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,092

UncleBuck

Oh, I love the 310J/SJ too! :) But if you are gonna dream you might as well dream big! :D

I'm not sure the price difference (310SJ vs. 410J) is that significant in the grand scheme of things. Problem is I get budgetary prices on one unit from one dealer and another unit from another dealer... very often apples & oranges in terms of features/options/extras/dealer BS... making it hard to compare. If and when I win that PowerBall lottery, you can be sure I'll have the pencil out and do plenty of shopping & bargaining! :D

Here is a link to some trade magazines with Free Subscriptions

http://www.mooserivermedia.com/

Turf and Landscape/Construction might be of interest to you guys, I get them plus Farming and for the price (free) you can't go wrong. Only problem, I think they are regional only(Northeast) :tiphat:

Dougster

Old Member
Here is a link to some trade magazines with Free Subscriptions

http://www.mooserivermedia.com/

Turf and Landscape/Construction might be of interest to you guys, I get them plus Farming and for the price (free) you can't go wrong. Only problem, I think they are regional only(Northeast) :tiphat:
Thanks Buck! :wave: Just signed up for "Landscape Construction" Magazine. I already get a bunch of other construction trade magazines, small business magazines and mechancal engineering journals... but this one looked interesting! :) I'll check it out! :thumb: