Here's a "Talk About Anything" - II

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It was not that good at my house but a friend in central ohio took this pic.
Any idea why the northern lights are showing up this far south? I've never heard of such before. What's it all mean?

NortherLightsMay102024.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a good description.

The sun has ejected a huge amount of its stuff at Earth in the past few days. This has all kinds of effects, including the lights. Some electronics, satellites, communications and such can also be affected.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. I heard about the sun doing some weird stuff. Had no idea it could impact the northern lights like that. Very cool.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The little tractor that could. OK, the little tractor that tried.

My neighbor had a vehicle engine he just sold and asked if I could use my tractor loader to pick it up and set it in the buyer's trailer.
I pulled my tractor up to the engine. My loader had to be in full dump mode so my tooth bar didn't tear apart the oil pan. It was on an engine hoist so the engine was up pretty high. I tried to lift it. No go. Being up high and in dump mode, I didn't have a lot of hydraulic power.

I was still surprised I couldn't lift it. Hopped off the tractor to take a look at the engine. I "thought" I was picking up a a 6 or 8 cyl SUV or small truck engine. Works out that it was a 6.2L Cummins diesel that weighed around 1200 pounds. That explains why I couldn't do it.

Called another friend/neighbor. He has a JD 4052. Asked him to leave his bucket behind and bring his quick-attach forks. Lifted that engine without issue and placed it on the trailer. Makes me feel like I want a bigger tractor.

Oh, it's wet here. The neighbor's yard now has ruts from both of our tractors.

Smilingreen

The little tractor that could. OK, the little tractor that tried.

My neighbor had a vehicle engine he just sold and asked if I could use my tractor loader to pick it up and set it in the buyer's trailer.
I pulled my tractor up to the engine. My loader had to be in full dump mode so my tooth bar didn't tear apart the oil pan. It was on an engine hoist so the engine was up pretty high. I tried to lift it. No go. Being up high and in dump mode, I didn't have a lot of hydraulic power.

I was still surprised I couldn't lift it. Hopped off the tractor to take a look at the engine. I "thought" I was picking up a a 6 or 8 cyl SUV or small truck engine. Works out that it was a 6.2L Cummins diesel that weighed around 1200 pounds. That explains why I couldn't do it.

Called another friend/neighbor. He has a JD 4052. Asked him to leave his bucket behind and bring his quick-attach forks. Lifted that engine without issue and placed it on the trailer. Makes me feel like I want a bigger tractor.

Oh, it's wet here. The neighbor's yard now has ruts from both of our tractors.
I got a JD 5055D with FEL I am kicking around about selling. Got a few attachment that will go with it. 7' medium duty brush hog, Root Grapple, landscape rake and hevi duty boxblade with hydraulically actuated scarifier beam........55 horse tier II diesel. No DEF fluid, starts and runs like a new one.

I want to buy a used trackloader.:unsure:

Takeuchi_TL12V2_Track_Loader_600x480.png

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sad. Just a little thing but I have an old Wheel Horse tractor that doesn't run. I'm not into fixing it. I told the scrap guy to come get it but my heart said to try and give it another life. I put it on CL with a beg for someone to get it for damn near free so it doesn't get scrapped. Unfortunately, no takers. :(

I just hate good, old iron going to scrap. This tractor has straight steel, nice patina but .... no spark. :(

Smilingreen

I'm sad. Just a little thing but I have an old Wheel Horse tractor that doesn't run. I'm not into fixing it. I told the scrap guy to come get it but my heart said to try and give it another life. I put it on CL with a beg for someone to get it for damn near free so it doesn't get scrapped. Unfortunately, no takers. :(

I just hate good, old iron going to scrap. This tractor has straight steel, nice patina but .... no spark. :(
No spark issue wouldn't be that hard to fix.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhh. That's makes me sad too. I once had an engine with no spark but with a little fine sanding of the rust on the flywheel, (magnitron area) I got it to fire. They don't make new stuff like the old tried and true. This one could be a golden nugget to a collector- sure wish I was close. .

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got a JD 5055D with FEL I am kicking around about selling. Got a few attachment that will go with it. 7' medium duty brush hog, Root Grapple, landscape rake and hevi duty boxblade with hydraulically actuated scarifier beam........55 horse tier II diesel. No DEF fluid, starts and runs like a new one.

I want to buy a used trackloader.:unsure:

View attachment 15295
I need one of those. What do used ones run?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I once had an engine with no spark but with a little fine sanding of the rust on the flywheel, (magnitron area) I got it to fire. They don't make new stuff like the old tried and true. This one could be a golden nugget to a collector- sure wish I was close. .
I did the basic things like cleaning the flywheel, re-gap the magnatron, new plug... Don't want to start replacing parts as I really don't want this tractor. Besides electrical issue, it needs new tires. There's no mower deck. Too small for any towing needs (I use the ATV). No need for it and it's just sucking up space.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I did the basic things like cleaning the flywheel, re-gap the magnatron, new plug... Don't want to start replacing parts as I really don't want this tractor. Besides electrical issue, it needs new tires. There's no mower deck. Too small for any towing needs (I use the ATV). No need for it and it's just sucking up space.
I once had a Mercury 9.9 hp outboard that quit running because of no spark. The Mercury dealer wanted the First-Born for the “Thunderbolt” ignition system replacement parts and they were also backordered.

I decided to tear into it and found beneath the flywheel a set of what appeared to be magnetic pick-up coils and an aluminum box filled with epoxy-sealed electronics. I chiseled-out the electronics, leaving only the coils which apparently picked up the flux from magnets mounted inside the flywheel circumference as they passed-by.

I added a cendenser (an original Toyota condenser from the early ‘70s which had been in my toolbox since I’d worked for them as a young college/flight student. (Remember the old points, coil, condenser, distributor ignition systems?)

The CONDENSER was the secret. (The magnets passing by the coils will impart current within the coils….but that current is low-intensity if not momentarily stored/built-up in a condenser.). Adding the condenser in parallel to the coils provided just the right amount to create a spark at the plugs.

My neighbor Chuck (devised microchips for Motorola) laughed at my concoction believing I’d simply destroyed beyond repairability the original system.
But that little ‘engine that could” …FIRED RIGHT UP! and ran my 14’ DelCraft fishing boat for 5 more years before I sold it. It. was seen almost ten years later, still running on Inks Lake.