HIGH AIR INTAKE ON 1140

I took the adcvice of the group and installed the high air intake and what a difference on the amount of dust that doesn't get in the air filter. It has been dustly in my area for about a year and after installing the new intake there is about 95% less dust when I clean the filter each month. If you drive any place where the road is dusty its worth the money.

Last edited:

markc

thinking about just adding some pvc pipe or muffler tubing and routing it up under the canopy thats really all the factory one does with a fancy bowl on top may put a 90 on top and add some screen over the end

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Actually Mark, the high rise filter unit I got from the kubota dealer here is quite a bit different from the stock unit. It is larger in size for the prefilter and the filter itself. The filters are mounted high not down by the wheel well, and actually it's easier to check and clean.........For me, glad I did the change as I was having to maintain it every 10 hours or so and now perhaps I check it every 100 and blow it out every 300 or 400.......God bless......Dennis

texasjohn

I installed my Kubota 1140 high rise air intake (from Kubota, $250). It has a specially shaped manifold that fits in front of the rear wheel and connects to the existing air filter (rotated 180 degrees) then to the vertical pipe. This is a very tight space where proper air flow is important and that was the deciding factor, for me, to go with the Kubota part and not try to manufacture my own.

It's pricey, vertical pipe is metal, ROPS clamps are very sturdy with rubber pads, top cover and manifold are molded plastic of some kind. Design is excellent.

It's called a snorkel but am not sure it is water tight. I saw no such claims. The two lower manifold clamps are for a plastic-plastic and a plastic-metal connection. No rubber inserts or rings to assure a water tight fit. I don't intend to take it swimming, but things happen sometimes and you do what you gotta do. I'd feel better if those connections were enhanced by rubber someway, but perhaps it's wonderful and I just don't know it yet.

Packaging is deficient... short one rubber pad, short two short bolts, only two stainless steel clamps provided, three needed. Color is BLACK even though all 1140 ROPS are dark grey.

Clearly, given the amount of dust collected in the filter with only 18 hours on the machine, this air intake is more of a must than a luxury. Took me 5 minutes to blow all the dust out of the air filter.... and I had the needed long nozzle with angle on the end to get down into the inside and blow air back out...thus removing the dust and preventing driving the dust into the filter.

Overall, for the 1140, IMHO, you NEED some sort of high rise air intake to get out of the dust and reduce the time you spend cleaning the air filter and replacing it and to keep the engine breathing easier and ingest less dust.

Thanks to two guns for encouraging me to get it!

Ricochet

Overall, for the 1140, IMHO, you NEED some sort of high rise air intake to get out of the dust and reduce the time you spend cleaning the air filter and replacing it and to keep the engine breathing easier and ingest less dust.

Thanks to two guns for encouraging me to get it!
You got good advice...all RTV models need this kit except (maybe) the RTV500, especially if you run around on dusty/dirt roads.

Cherokee Driver

Texasjohn,

Any chance you can post photos of your 1140 high-rise intake? There are plenty of examples as to how the plumbing is routed on other models, but nothing I can find so far for the 1140. I would like to see how the factory version looks. Thanks in adviance for your time. CD

oldhat

Site Supporter
After changing to a tall intake the amount of dust collected is almost nothing compared to before the change. I have a 1100 so what I did is not the same as a 1140. The change to a tall intake will pay for it self in reduiced labor to clean, and cost of filters. The filters will only take so mutch blowing out before they are no good anymore. You get some small holes in the filter, and let dust into the motor and the damage it will cause will be very expensive. The manual says after 6 cleanings, replace. Only use 30 psi of air presure or filter damage may happen.
oldhat