How much load on electrical system do you have

Mark.Sibole

I was just getting opinions on how much of an electrical load you have put or use on your RTV.I know if anyone here is like me its a lot lol.As I switch things on you can hear it in the rpms.
To Dtae I have original heal lights and tail lights.1 set of fog lights mounted on roof.2 sets of led strobes mounted on roon 2 sets of alternating slashers 1 set of siade lights (ally lights) and a strobe light on a pedistal.I have had them all on and you can hear it in engine RPMS a lot.Its like its groaning "Mark what the hell are you doing to me" lol.
I havnt measured current draw with a meter yet or added a volt meter to be sure I still am getting enough voltage from the ALT to keep up.
Im just curious if anyone else is like me as in the more lights you have the better it is and more howse power you gain lol.

Regards

Mark

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Member BCZoom has a lot of stuff on his RTV. The LED's should be all but no draw and the strobe the same. I would check what they pull with the engine off. Don't know what the rating on the alternator is but I doubt more than 40 amps. They are pretty tiny.

Mark.Sibole

Amps = Watts/Volts so 55 whtts divided by 12 = 4.58
4.58 x 4 is 18.32 figure less than 1 amp for the strobes x 5 headlights add another 9 amps
tail lights maybe 2 to 3 im calculating about 37 .5 amp draw so we should be safe.I still plan on putting an amp meter across the + side of the battery to make sure.Ill have to pick one up ans my meter only goes to 20 amps dc.

Popo1945

Put an ammeter inline with charging wire from the alternator & start turning things on one at time & see how the amp draw increases. I'd keep the rpm's up & I don't think I'd exceed the rating of the alternator. I have an 04 900 rtv - I don't know what the alternator is rated at off hand. I have the factor repair manual I'll look tomorrow & post it if I find the rating.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I believe mine is an 04 or 05
Mark - Look at your VIN just above the battery. It'll be something like KRTV900A410nnnnn

That 9th digit (a 4 in the example) tells you the year.

I added a bunch of lights (I'm counting 11 in my head) but normally, it's only a couple at a time based on the chore that needs it.

The biggest draw is the stereo amp. I've run an OEM battery to dead in under an hour with that amp on.

I've since replaced the OEM battery with a Deep-Cycle Marine battery which has helped considerably.

Mark.Sibole

Thanks for the info.Ill knoiw a lot more when i put an amp meter on it.And yes you are right i dont run all the lights at one time but i do like to know what the draw is under full load.
Ill keep you posted when i find out.
Thanks again all
Regards

Mark

Popo1945

Mark,
I checked my repair manual & there's a misprint - it shows volts for both the voltage output & the amperage output for the alt. Actually if u put the ammeter on the batt. supply cable from the alt it will read the amps u r recharging the batt. depending on the load on the batt. (the # of lights etc). And the alt shouldn't be capable of putting out more amps than it s rated for (60 amps, 75 amps). So, if u r drawing more from the batt. than than the alt can replace it will eventually drain the batt. but, the batt. has a lot of storage. The only time I think that would happen is if u were running the winch all the time w/ the engine running - then u would probably burn up the winch first. U can start your rtv pull off the + cable & put the ammeter between the + batt. post & the + cable & turn everything (lights, heater, A/C, etc) & measure the amperage draw. Do Not include the winch or try to start the engine w/ the ammeter hooked up (bye bye ammeter). The alt. puts a lot of drag on an engine & when we only have 22hp u r going to notice the drag especially at lower rpms.
Good Luck,
Popo

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Power = Current * voltage
Current is 60 amps & voltage = 12 so 60*12=720 watts

Most lights are in the 55 watt rating so you could easily run 10 of them (550 watts) and have room to spare.