Hydraulic Fluid Level - RTV-X1120

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I admit it. I haven't checked the engine oil, transmission fluid or hydraulic fluid since December but I got around to it yesterday. My old Dad would curse me if he knew. The engine oil was good, in range and just down from the top. Transmission fluid was right at top of the mark. The hydraulic fluid, under the passenger seat, appears to be low. Since the fluid is clear, it was tough to see and finally had to get a flashlight to confirm. It is barely on the stick. I will pick up a gallon of SuperUDT this week.

What I am wondering is in the absence of a leak, what can cause that level to drop? We've put about 30 hours on it since its 100 hour service, performed by the dealer. When I got it back, everything was right on.

It is parked in the exact same spot every time, concrete floor, no signs of any fluid. I have not dropped the skid plates yet.

Does the fluid get consumed or evaporate over time?

Reactions: Doc

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I always have had a tough time reading hydraulic oil levels in both the hydraulic reservoir and the transmission - really tough to read. I have often overfilled both then have to remove some! After every change it is probably important to start the engine, turn the steering wheel a few times, raise and lower the bed to make sure all the fluid is pumped through then recheck. If you don't see oil on the floor after being parked over night I would think you don't have a leak, even it if leaked under use there would be some dripping from the area.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it isn't evaporating. it could have it's limit of moisture and have foamed sometime in the past and forced some out of the vent. if it hasn't been changed now would be a good time to do so. the hours of service recommendation can not be used in low use machines. change the oil at least once per year no matter what.

BiffNH,I to have a hard time reading the transmission level on the stick. i was going to paint it flat black but after thinking about it i dident want the paint to fall off into the trany. so i thought ide try a small bottle of gun bluing.first i used steelwool and breakleen and cleaned it real good then dip it in bluing and let it sit for a few min. i repeated this four times and it works 1657726578320.pnggreat,leaves a flat dark finish on stick making it easy to read. Scotty

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
BiffNH,I to have a hard time reading the transmission level on the stick. i was going to paint it flat black but after thinking about it i dident want the paint to fall off into the trany. so i thought ide try a small bottle of gun bluing.first i used steelwool and breakleen and cleaned it real good then dip it in bluing and let it sit for a few min. i repeated this four times and it works View attachment 14044great,leaves a flat dark finish on stick making it easy to read. Scotty
Thanks for the idea! I too had thought of putting some type of coating on it, but couldn't be sure it would last. I see this working OK on a metal dip stick, but does it work on the two plastic dip sticks (transmission and hydraulic)? These our the most difficult to read.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Art, I think you were right. It was just barely showing up on the hydraulic fluid dipstick, under the passenger seat. Would you be able to explain how moisture effects that fluid? You mentioned it might have held moisture and foamed? I filled it about halfway up, ran the steering lock to lock, operating the bed several times. Then topped it off. Ran it for about an hour down a township road and then checked one more time. Perfect. I am a little new to hydraulic fluid so sorry for the dumb question. Thanks

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the oil absorbs moisture from the atmosphere just a little and over time. also in machines that aren't worked real hard but are start stop type usage the condensation inside the case adds that much more water and the temps never get hot enough to boil the water out. then there is the pressure wash forcing water beyond seals. i see low hour machines that take years to accumulate an oil change interval. always always change your transmission oil once per year at least. water in the oil can cause the oil to foam and expand until it is ejected out of the vent.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I had no idea so I appreciate that. This was the hydraulic reservoir, not the tranny but I will assume the principal is the same. And my usage fits the profile you described. The 1120 sits for a week or two at a time. It is used to maintain our orchards which is a lot of start/stop. It hauls a little over 1,000 pounds of water into the field and hauls cut wood rounds out of the field. But nothing harder than that. Then occasionally a longer ride through the hills. And it only has 129 hours and about 500 miles. We've had it five years. I will start checking this regularly and plan to service it once a year. One other side note - the steering had started to get noisy and this quieted it right down. Thanks very much!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes. oils lifespan is severely shortened by short duty cycles. it is my opinion that kubota needs to recognize that they need to update the owners manual with recommendations.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
some are better some are worse. sudt is one of the better ones. the problem is the service interval and duty cycle. there is also acids that form in the oil and additive packages like anti wear and viscosity improvers that wear out and can even become sludge etc. oil has a service life and different conditions cause it to either be shorter or longer. i remember a railroad contractor who put tens of thousands of hours on their rtv's and they basically would run 24-7 sometimes. they changed fluids according to the book and by the hour meter and had zero issues with transmission hydraulics. then there are countless homeowners who's rtv is years old and still haven't reached the hours for oil service. guess which one needed the transmission rebuilt?