In frame rebuild?

Tom F

Have a 2006 kubota rtv900 With 896 hours. I don’t no the history of what happened to create the engine problems but do know with testing the Engine has blow bye produced off #3 cylinder and weak compression in other two. My question is would it be beneficial to remove the complete engine and transmission for rebuild or try and do a inframe?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
That would depend upon the cause for loss of compression. It it’s only due to problems in the head….(gasket, valves, crack, etc) ….then it would be simpler in-situ.
If the lower-end had to be repaired … then certainly pulling the engine makes sense.

”blow bye”..?? What do you mean by that and how was that diagnosed?

Tom F

Compressed air was supplied through glow plug port and strong amount of air is escaping through oil fill at valve cover. Initially I had noticed weak power and running on two cylinders. when checking oil while running I saw pressure out oil dipstick tube. I will probably remove the head and inspect valves and cylinders before determining which route to go. Thanks for your advice.

v10rick

Site Supporter
These engines are durable BUT it seems like warped heads from overheating is common.

My unit suffered this fate, didn't bother to compression check. When I pulled the head there was an obvious crack. The head was warped but the deck was flat.

Complete OEM heads are available through ebay.