Insurance

ne-sd

I did a search of the forum and most of the replies are from 2006. I want to insure my 900 since I do go on/off road and have it licensed here in SD. Has anyone insured their 900 for on/off road use? I plan on trying Progressive Direct to see if they do insure the 900. Thanks

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I have my Honda Rubicons insured threw Progessive insurance companies ~~~ I checked EVERYWHERE for the best and the cheapest at that time in 2006. They beat everyone hands down.</P>

Now, in Feb 2007, I purchased a brand new Kubota RTV 900, was going to get the insurance threw the same Progessive folks. But, my Kubota dealer done some checking, and the Kubota insurance for the RTV was cheaper threw Kubota than Progressive. All my units werepaid for in full when they were picked-up, Rubicons & Kubota. But to show you how things will happen. Aneighbor friend of mine purchased a Honda Four-Wheeler two years ago. Had the option of financeing it., he declined and paid cash for it. Being it was paid for he thought he wouldn't need to carry any insurance. We all know that if you finance anything, you will have to carry full coverage insurance. So he thought if he would pay cash for it, he would be saving money in the long run not have the insurance payments hitting him every year. BULL ~~` He should of financed it or just go ahead and put a full coverage policy on it. For on the way home from the dealer, somehow, the new Rubiconbounced or fell out of the trailer and went flying threw trees at 65 mph. Need I say anymore, no insurance, no four wheeler, and he never even got to showthat oneto his wife in one piece. Sad story but true !!!! </P>

I would check with Kubota , they have the best for the RTV's on off road. Now about on / off ~~~~ I do not know, but I do know Farm Bureau used to insure some vehicle like such for the road use also. </P>

Might just get the full coverage insurance, and don't even tell 'em about you plan on puttng it on the road. For it is considered a off-road machine. And it having a full policy. You should be covered.</P>

Hope this helps. ~~~~~~</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just tried calling my Kubota dealer to see what he can tell me about insurance.

I went through all kinds of hassles to get insurance for my RTV. When I got mine, the RTV was so new that no insurance companies knew about it let alone how to insure it. Eventually, I did get coverage.

Now, some general and related notes that may be pertinent to others.

Check with your insurance agent on whether you need a policy for your RTV. If your state doesn't require the vehicle gets registered, <u>and</u> you use primarily around the household, there's a good chance it's covered under your homeowners policy. They should insure it if it's "used to maintain the resident premises". Basically, it's like a tractor/mower or other things that are used around the house which are normally covered under your homeowners. When I first got my RTV, it was covered in this fashion.

Fast forward about 6 months... Where I live (PA), they then passed a law that it's required that all ATV's, UTV's... get registered. Well, once it's a registered vehicle, it gets a license plate and is then considered a "vehicle" as far as the insurance is concerned. I then HAD to get a policy for the RTV (since the law states that they must be registered <u>and</u> insured).

So, I now have plates and insurance policies on all my off-road vehicles (including the kids 50cc quads... GRRRR).

OK, now let's talk policies again (here I'm thinking of using Kubota or other insurance not run through your vehicle, homeowners... policies). OK, you'll have to discuss this with your agent but here's how mine is set up.

In general, there's a few terms for it but it's often called "stacking".
Right now, I have 6 off-road vehicles. (yea, I know but I had to sell 3 others to make some space). When you stack your insurance, the liability portion is cumulative of all the vehicles (but they have to be through the same insurer). So, I carry $250.000/$500,000 liability on each vehicle. If I did something and needed that liability insurance, I get every vehicles liability "stacked" on as well. So, if all 6 vehicles were insured, I would actually have $1,500,000/$3,000,000 in liability coverage. Also, by keeping these high liability amounts, it's also eligible to pick up my personal umbrella policy (for another million). Heck, not sure but my homeowners liability may kick in on top of that as well.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Now here in Louisiana, ONLY if you put it on the road, will you have to haveat least $ 25,000 liability insurance.And full coverage, is up to you. Now, if you get a tag, of course, to get the tag, you will have to show proof of insurance. But I believe you are right about the home owners thing.</P>

Now to use it one the farm / plantation or hunting, off - road recreation >>>>> down here in Louisiana they don't require us to carry any type of insurance for that. I carry full coverage insurance on everything I have, just to cover my butt IF anything would happen, be accident, thief, or any other expensive surprise that can show up in any mans life. Also, down here we can purchase farm tags for vehicles used on farmland.Now that don't restrict you to just farm roads etc.We can use it on the any road I wish to run. Even in the RTV. If I wanted to, I could get a farm tag, ($12.50 ) for five years, for the RTV and run any road I wanted to. You can just about put a farm tag on anything you want but a passenger car. SUV'S, RTV, Trucks, Off-Road Units , Wagons,Trailers, etc.just anything but a car. </P>