is this a clutch problem ?

ongaro

I was driving my jd 4020 and went down a very steep burm . after a little bouncing arround the tractor would not go forward or backwards ,checked if the fluid was low and it was ,although i had filled it up a few days before. the tractor in first gear and very low revs will slightly rock forward.is it possible hyd fluid got on the fly wheel /cluch plate and it is slipping? could the clutch alignment be out. The pto clutch seems to be working.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is the tractor on flat ground now? Doesn't sound like clutch to me, but what else would it be? :confused:

Gary66

Ongaro, I don't mean to sound grimm....but it smacks of a broken axle.

Jack it up one side at a time and see what happens when you turn the tire.

I loaned a tractor to a neighbor and an axle broke. I got a segment of the same spline and welded it up. I checked for axle alignment in a lathe. In my case there had been gradual wear and when it finally twisted apart there was a lot of damage. Even at that it wasn't a big problem, it just took the determination to fix it.

I think the reason for slight movement in low gear is the action of the differential wanting to put power to the good axle, but the broken one is the least drag so it gets the power.

I think an oily clutch would smell, still work - but not smoothly.

Red Beard

If you have oil on the clutch, a little slipping should burn it off. If it seems to get better, keep slipping until it's about normal. If not, well, have fun.:)

ongaro

it is on flat ground now /i can tow the tractor even in gear ,someone told me it could be a pin ?in the rear axle area /hoping for that
thanks for the replies sofar.