Jensen HD radio losing preset memory

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I agree! I have WorkTunes and use them as well. I, however, like the radio and weather band - especially when I am plowing. I don't mind having to look up for the time and tuning in a station wouldn't be such a problem if the station memory buttons would work! I do use the auxiliary option on the Jensen and listen to Pandora when I am plowing if I am not using the WorkTunes.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
It does appear that the problem I am experiencing has something to do with the switched circuit of Kubota rather than the radio. Jensen says both radios they sent me are 100% fine. While I have wired to the constant voltage (non-switched) part of the Kubota harness the radio works fine and has not (yet) lost station memory. The clock and dial are on 24/7 this way, but I have the radio programed to shut down if the detected battery voltage drops below something like 11 volts. I may wire in a switch so that if I leave my machine for extended periods I can switch it off entirely. I do like to have the radio available to have without the key switch on! I wish I have been able to figure out what is causing this problem, but for now I give up.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
For those of you who have had the problem I have had with the factory installed Jensen HD radio losing the programed station button selections, I have figured out a good solution. I changed the harness pin location so that the radio is now wired into the constant on (green/white) wire in the switch panel below the radio. I spliced in a rocker switch so now I can turn off the radio there and so far after a week of using the switch I have not had to reprogram the station selections. The radio now can work with the ignition off! It is nice to pull into a worksite and be able to listen to the radio or Pandora, etc. without the ignition switch on with the panel lights, etc. glowing. Evidently when the engine is starting there must be some interference (glow plug operation??) that erases the station memory. Didn't happen all the time but frequently enough it was a annoying.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It is nice to pull into a worksite and be able to listen to the radio or Pandora, etc. without the ignition switch on
Just a heads-up on this. I put a stereo (and amp) in my RTV many years ago. When I'd use the stereo/amp with the RTV off, it would drain the battery enough in about 30 minutes whereby the RTV wouldn't start. Put in a deep-cycle marine battery and haven't had the problem since.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Just a heads-up on this. I put a stereo (and amp) in my RTV many years ago. When I'd use the stereo/amp with the RTV off, it would drain the battery enough in about 30 minutes whereby the RTV wouldn't start. Put in a deep-cycle marine battery and haven't had the problem since.
Thanks for the advice. However, the Jensen radio has the ability to shut itself off if the voltage drops below 10.7 volts. This is something that you can turn off or on in programming the radio. It is a nice feature. The switch I installed has a blue light on when the radio is on so it is easy to see. So far I've only had the radio on for a little over an hour without running the engine and all is fine. I doubt I'll ever run it much longer, but having the built-in protection of the radio turning itself off when the battery reaches the 10.7 volts should offer protection.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good. Is 10.7V enough to start the RTV?
I think the culprit in my situation was the amp. It draws a lot of power.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds good. Is 10.7V enough to start the RTV?
I think the culprit in my situation was the amp. It draws a lot of power.
Yes - the AMP is probably a big draw. The simple radio does't pull much and as I said, after one hour there was no change in the cranking power.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Mine is doing the same thing. How do I remove or pull the radio out?
That is interesting. When I called Kubota about this problem they said they hadn't heard of this problem! Now I know that at least three of us have experienced it!
The radio comes out easily - remove the two vertical end caps on each side of the radio - they pop off. Then, using some stiff aluminum or steel pieces about 4 inches long and 3/8 inches wide, slide them in along the openings that are now visible with the plastic end caps off. Part way in you will feel some resistance - this is when the "tools" will be pushing tabs away from the radio. With both tabs "released" the radio will slide out.
There is a schematic on the radio so you can see how the wiring and where to change out the switched wire for the always on wire. It is the always on wire that I spliced in a switch. This works real well and now I don't have to have the key on - racking up hours on the meter - to listen to the radio while at a job site. Good luck