K connect snowblower

Aaguy30

Good morning. Was wondering if anyone has this issue or has had this issue. Well we just got hit with a good size storm in the hills of western mass and my driveway is about a 1/4 mile long uphill for 1/2 of it. Not much room to push snow. So I bought a k connect snowblower for my rtv. But every time I use the blower it breaks a sheer pin with the first 10’. I have gone through 3 pins and I’ve literally made it 25’. If you have had this issue please fill me in with what you did thanks

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Gravel driveway? If the snow is more than 6-8 inches I would say that blowing the storm is better than waiting until it is over if there is a lot of snow - especially if it is spring wet snow. I looked into the K-Connect system when I purchased my newer RTV X1100C last year, but the dealer said they wouldn't sell me one because they said they have found the snowblower to be "problematic". So I ended up with the Boss V-Plow again. I do have a way places to push the snow - but I would have preferred to blow it!

mgrick

I also live in western mass and was hammered with 30 plus inches of wet snow.
Having a 900 ft gravel drive way I went with the Boss V plow on my RTV X1100C. My 6 ft snowblower on the back of my DK35 uses the cheap grade 1/4" bolts for shearing. Even when I had my Honda 5518 with 42" front snowblower there was no way I could use the factory sheer bolts. Just like you they broke too easily. Swapped them out to the low grade 1/4" bolts. Would hold up longer and still shear if a rock got stuck in it, but over time things got a little sloppy so YMMV.
Yours options my be to sell the blower and go with a plow. Since I got the RTV I haven't had to use the snowblower on my tractor.

Westfield

I also live in western mass and was hammered with 30 plus inches of wet snow.
Having a 900 ft gravel drive way I went with the Boss V plow on my RTV X1100C. My 6 ft snowblower on the back of my DK35 uses the cheap grade 1/4" bolts for shearing. Even when I had my Honda 5518 with 42" front snowblower there was no way I could use the factory sheer bolts. Just like you they broke too easily. Swapped them out to the low grade 1/4" bolts. Would hold up longer and still shear if a rock got stuck in it, but over time things got a little sloppy so YMMV.
Yours options my be to sell the blower and go with a plow. Since I got the RTV I haven't had to use the snowblower on my tractor.
I purchased a new Kubota 1100 C in 2019 with a snowblower. For the past 3 years my snow blower has worked flawlessly. Best investment I ever made. Since I owned it I broke two shear pins. Once from hitting a solid ice chunk, and once when I picked up a rock. The only problem I have with my snowblower is I have to change my shoes on the snow blower, they wore out this year. One thing I am very cautious of is when you raise a snowblower while it's running you can hear the U-joints just getting stressed out. Now whenever I back up and have to raise the snow blower I turn the snowblower auger off. All in all this machine has been very good for me I have a large yard with a lot of driveway. I also snow blow my trails. In the fall before it snows I always make sure I go around the yard and pick up sticks so they don't get caught in the snow blower.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I purchased a new Kubota 1100 C in 2019 with a snowblower. For the past 3 years my snow blower has worked flawlessly. Best investment I ever made. Since I owned it I broke two shear pins. Once from hitting a solid ice chunk, and once when I picked up a rock. The only problem I have with my snowblower is I have to change my shoes on the snow blower, they wore out this year. One thing I am very cautious of is when you raise a snowblower while it's running you can hear the U-joints just getting stressed out. Now whenever I back up and have to raise the snow blower I turn the snowblower auger off. All in all this machine has been very good for me I have a large yard with a lot of driveway. I also snow blow my trails. In the fall before it snows I always make sure I go around the yard and pick up sticks so they don't get caught in the snow blower.
Glad to hear the K Connect has worked well for you. I was ready to spend the money - I have over a mile of dirt road to keep clear - but the negative comment from the dealer quickly made me re-think it.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
This was literally happening on a concrete walkway with only 2-3 inches of snow
Wow! Something for sure is not set up correctly. When the dealer told me the snowblowers were "problematic" I don't think we thought they were that bad!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree something is wrong in the setup. I don't have one but is there a way to check for any kind of binding up?

Westfield

I agree something is wrong in the setup. I don't have one but is there a way to check for any kind of binding up?
I would I would take the auger pins back out and spin the augers manually to see if they are hitting on anything. Then put the pins back in the auger and have somebody start the machine up and start the auger. stand outside and watch it spin without moving the machine around and see if it's catching on something. That is the only thing that can break those pins if there's a restriction on the auger. It really does not make any sense unless there is stones or something that is getting caught in the auger. There may be a bent blade hitting the side of the housing. It's not that complicated but something is causing those to break and it can only be if something is getting caught in the auger or the auger is hitting somewhere and causing it to drag or get stuck.

Last edited:

ItBmine

I would much rather have the K-Connect and blower for my RTV over the Boss plow I have, but when I priced the blower setup here in Ontario Canada it was $24,000!!!! No thanks.
I can't even imagine what it costs now after the new Kubota price increases. Even my 1100C went up over 6 grand from when I bought mine 2 years ago.