Kubota RTV900 Won't Start

RancherGuy

I am hoping that someone can help me. My 2005 model has been pretty care-free, but yesterday out of the blue, it wouldn't start. I had driven it up to the house, turned it off. Then after 2 minutes when I came back, it would not start. The key caused the normal clicking sound (fuel solenoid?), but no starter noise or action. Lights were good. Battery voltage (still original battery) reads 12.6V.

I thought it might be the starter (solenoid), so I tried to use a screw driver at the starter to short it to start. I got sparks but nothing happened. I tried a second time and still nothing. Now the key action does nothing (no clicking, no lights -- nothing).

I tested the battery again and the volts are still there. Power shows up at the alternator and the cable to the starter. I pulled every fuse and they are all good.

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, Does it try to crank and acts like it's not getting fuel? If so, it is probably the solenoid. I have a thread on here if that is it. I will find the thread and post it. bordercollie
edit: I reread your post and see now that it is only clicking when you turn the key? I would still think something with the battery. No noise from the beginning might be the safety switch.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This is the link to that thread. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14088
Is it in neutral good? This could also be the safety switch. That prevents it from starting in gear.I have a picture of that posted somewhere on here but it is on top of the trans and has a small plug in going to it.
bordercollie
edit: that is old for a battery, do you have a spare you could just try if we eliminate everything else? Have you tried cleaning the battery posts ?

RancherGuy

Thanks for the help and the links.

Right after I posted my question, I decided to do more checking and found that my voltmeter reports 12.6v, but when I turned the key as I watch the voltmeter, the volts changed to 0.03!!! It was an "ah-ha" moment. So I pulled out another battery and connected that and it started right up! After 40 year of working on vehicles, I have never run into a battery situation like that. For me when the batteries fail, their voltage stays down even after charging. And I have also never had a battery last for 6 years.

Whew. I am sure glad that it was not the starter or something like that.

Thanks again!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is great news Rancher Guy. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. bordercollie