Looking for snow plow instructions

kyeakel

I just bought a used Curtis/Kubota snow plow for my RTV900. It has the hydraulic angle hardware but no hoses to connect it to the dump bed connectors. It is also missing the electric lift for the blade. I think I can fab up something to use my winch to lift the blade. I'd like to get a scan of the V4208 and V4207 install manuals so I can complete the install. Can anyone help? Since I've never had a snow plow before, will the weight of the blade be enough to properly use the plow? Do I need any down force? I have gravel at the farm and asphalt at home.

Thanks,
Kipp

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Weight of the blade should be sufficient to plow snow. Hope you get it rigged in time for the white stuff.

Welcome to the Forum.

Keifer

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 94

kyeakel

Thanks, I do have the plow mounted now. The hydraulics are not yet connected, so that is the next step.

Kipp

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I have the Curtis blade on my 900. The lift is electric and you can see how it works in the picture. My angle is manual.

The weight is fine for plowing but if you are planning to do gravel, I would recommend either wider skids or a piece of pipe in the lower blade edge to keep from digging into the gravel.

56OCcWdfVa435GqsAPUgj0FKgA5WK5rYJJnhkWOX6HPnU-blDVFzRR2eF0bXmjCQru2gUQqGf3wISdIWTr1yoCWRlXoAOiX4gE9cu77GT_4P2oNcmLzIvIp2DZ0IJFPOZ8Z5QIy7ScGd9Nh-xmBRjWNCK4vqswoMAfpoquXB3MWlszy_JfZ_ujcFNSYoK3Pw4acCFT312HVJ1cJrYZVAjR3y0L1dwY3gIKdzjSf9ZEDH7wkBKWI1eRdXQhsla5Q09GO-jZbEXqXY5PP6wP_fKN6UkekWhNEFMhFPGD6E2TC4hSenua37gw6mGbR-cpRfw2akVjSPn3WKa56wMbeD031-iUygBh388iRr87KofIAPClO8weFIW8BpwzWF0XcyCEeVGbtXY0x6eq3XLOs5jCb76PR1H6KU08N5CKHfr4cjuwK_VOSzcuTBbSzQgBla6GucvszwPIoHYMYd-N_4lv3Q3G6ciV3nrG_b7mOH7wa-Y1vdWEI27p08XK75qhKVX7aP6tzeoDipIIBya4oN1tKLg8pIbLdNHMDhpjEjn2C6cR3zBk-V0gpUEr8eYB2k0WbKBN4CBcYLI4VQWCCb9cMV4o_dIKCWd1IQ5aM3v55_plgAQCvW3iZbWkF71qI=w1270-h953-no

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Wondering...has anyone actually tried the pipe on the bottom edge of a snow blade. To keep from digging into gravel driveways. Pipe size? How attached?

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Wondering...has anyone actually tried the pipe on the bottom edge of a snow blade. To keep from digging into gravel driveways. Pipe size? How attached?

I heard about the pipe addition from my neighbor that said his SIL a couple of miles away had done that to an ATV blade with success. He tack welded a steel pipe to the blade after he cut a slot in it to slide the blade in.

I don't know the size but I'd think I just buy a small diameter piece of electrical conduit and run an experiment. 1/2 to 3/4".

If it works get a thicker wall pipe.

But hopefully someone that has done it will chime in.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
It has my interest as the snow blade does chisel into the gravel. In the spring I have to rake it back on the driveway. The shoes on the ends of the blade don't seem to help at all.

cchaffee

I have a 3/4" steel pipe on mine, for 2 years. I like it. it does still pick up the fine gravel in my driveway when the ground is soft, but once it's frozen, it doesn't.

Only downside is i do a neighbors 1/4 mile drive occasionally, and it is larger gravel. It wants to shake your teeth right out.

And the nice thing is it is only spotwelded on, so replacing it is not bad.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never tried the pipe/PVC across the bottom of the blade.

What I have tried:
For the 6' blade on my tractor:

I cut a strip of 1" thick stall pad about 6" tall by the width of my blade. Remove the cutting edge on the blade and install the pad between the mold board and the cutting edge. Let it stick down about 1" below the cutting edge. With this softer material, it drags across the surface instead of digging. My scraper blade was light duty and not heavy enough to keep that dragging material down to the surface. You may have better luck with the RTV due to its heavier weight.

Push snowblower:
I mounted kids training wheels to the outside of the blower so they're about 1" below the cutting edge. (I chose these as they're very thin so they don't generate resistance when pushing snow). Worked great. Wouldn't use training wheels on a RTV blade but using the same concept, casters mounted on the outside edges of the blade may work.

Cleaning up stone that gets off the driveway:
A good backpack leaf blower does an awesome job of blowing the stone back in the driveway. I was re-grading my stone driveway yesterday and definitely got stone in the grass. Just walked down the edges of the driveway and blew them back.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the replys. Think I'll try the pipe tack welded to the cutting edge. (One of these days.)

kyeakel

Since no one seems to have the hydraulic angle kit instructions from kubota, has anyone bled their angle kit and could tell me how they did it? I see there is a distribution block on the plow, there are two bolts on the top and at least one allen set screw on the side. I've been looking on the web, and see there are some who advise that no bleeding is necessary and that the air will work it's way out of the system. Since I haven't a clue, what is the consensus?
Thanks,
Kipp

kyeakel

In case anyone else might be looking for this info, I talked to the Kubota dealer and was told that no bleeding was required. Just hook up your hoses and move the plow back and forth, the air will escape when it's recirculated to the tank.

Kipp