Maintenance Help for Shibaura 1840

High Desert Rat

Hello to all ...

I have an older Shibaura 1840. No service or repair manuals available in English. I have a parts manual that helps somewhat. First tractor, so I'm not familiar with much of the terminology or parts operation, but it doesn't appear too difficult.

If anyone can offer some direction, would most certainly appreciate any help you can offer. I'm attempting some maintenance. No problem with the obtaining oil/filter and replacing, or with the greasing of the equipment. Need some advice with respect to transmission/hydraulics and the 3-point.

Would like to know what fluid to use in the 3-point, or is it the same fluid as used in the transmission?

Cannot locate the hydraulic screen [filter]. Located what appears to be the hydraulic pump, but no apparent screen or filter [at least easily accessible]. Any suggestions as to just what to look for on the equipment?

Are there actual drain plugs for draining transmission/hydraulic fluid and for 3-point, or do I have to use a suction device to extract old fluid? There are no obvious plugs on the underside of the unit. There are also no "dip sticks" for the transmission or the 3 point. Do you just fill to a level just below the plugs?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome!

The Ford compacts were built by Shibaura, so Ford documentation might be helpful.

I'll tell you a little bit about my Yanmar of the same era, definitely Old School design from the 70's or earlier but also continued into the simpler later models. This is a total shot in the dark as to whether it applies to you.

The hydraulic 'strainer' is inside the transmission where the big tube departs it to go to the pump. On Yanmar the strainer is behind a triangular plate opposite that tube fitting. Possibly on yours remove the big pipe to get to the strainer?? (and drain the transmission). I was surprised there is no hydraulic filter aside from this fine mesh screen but that seems to be sufficient.

Most, not all, models back then had a combined sump for the hydraulic system and the transmission. 'Universal Tractor Fluid', (UTF), of any brand claiming to meet John Deere 303 spec is sufficient if you don't have wet clutch or brakes. (or severe cold requiring winter weight oil). Later spec multi-grade UTF is better if you do have those considerations. Look in the fill hole after draining the hydraulic sump to see if that left the transmission gears dry??? Expect around four gallons for a drain/refill. If the transmission runs on separate fluid then I have no idea. I think the alternatives would be automotive 90 wt gear oil, or much thinner Motor Oil. Maybe sniff what's in there? Gear oil has a distinct smell.

Dipstick: I noticed that the level is above all the shafts and maybe 60% up the uppermost gears. It's important to not overfill because that risks leaks at the axle seals or into the (dry) brakes.

Ok, that is just to get you by momentarily until you find the documentation, or somebody sees this who has the answers.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's the go-to guy when all else fails.

He knows where to get any available manuals for anything built in Japan, and he has contacts in Japan for obscure parts. I note that the closest he could find in English for another Shibaura owner was Ford-USA manuals which matched that Shibaura's sheet metal but not its shifters.

Since what you are buying is 50% expert research and 50% goods, expect to pay accordingly.

cleardot.gif

Leonard Sheaffer at Sheaffer's Town & Country Tractors - parts@sheaftractor.net and see www.japanesetractorparts.com