Max 24 no start just white smoke. šŸ˜©

weirdbeard

Hi guys.
My 2017 Max 24 has been babied. Itā€™s garage kept and has just 275 hrs.

A few months ago it started taking longer to fire up after sitting a few days. I was hoping it would just clear itā€™s self up because it ran perfectly after starting.
Yesterday I used it all day moving dirt.
today it will not start.
Itā€™s just puffing out white smoke.

The air filter is new and clean.
The battery is new and fully charged.
All fuses ā€œthat I know ofā€ are good.
Glow plugs are getting voltage.
Plenty of diesel in the tank.

I need to change the fuel filters, but thatā€™s all I know to do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. šŸ˜¬

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It sounds like it's loosing its prime to me (possibly). Do you have to keep on attempting to start and then finally it will start and run? If so, check fuel lines and clamps. I had this happen on several pieces of equipment. After I had run those pieces for a bit and turned them off, I listened in a very quiet place for air. (mosquito type noise) . found some rotten hose on the older stuff and loose clamps on others. Good luck.

weirdbeard

Thanks bordercollie.
Thatā€™s what it had been doing for a few months and I assumed it was probably losing fuel pressure, but now its a no start at all situation.

weirdbeard

I just re tested the glow plugs and its a problem for sure.
Iā€™ve got all 13 volts on the glow plug rack with the key OFF!
With the key on voltage drops to zero.
This has me very confused. šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I searched on this issue and found this:

What causes white smoke from a diesel engine?

There are three causes of white smoke from a diesel engine. The problem is either raw diesel fuel passing through the exhaust completely unburned or water/coolant entering the combustion chamber or the temperature in the combustion chamber is too low.

More at this link https://learndiesels.com/the-causes-of-white-smoke-from-a-diesel-and-what-to-look-for/

weirdbeard

Thanks Doc.
I saw that too and think it must be raw fuel because the glow plugs are not working.

I just always thought a diesel could still fire up without glow plugs, but I donā€™t know much about diesels.
Iā€™m going to try and diagnose the glow plug situation. šŸ˜•

weirdbeard

I finally got around to working on the tractor today.
I was pulling the glow plugs to test them and I noticed the plastic + connector that plugs into the glow plug bridge bar looked weird on the inside.
It somehow melted just on the inside and was causing a very bad connection.
I soldered a new connector on and put everything back together.
She fired up just like new!
I am so relieved! šŸ˜ƒ

weirdbeard

Thanks, Doc.
yeah itā€™s probably not a common problem so I donā€™t know how much this thread will help others, but I did learn that this little diesel will not fire up without glow plugs. šŸ™‚

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm guessing there will be another one out there with a similar problem and this might be the fix. If it does help someone I hope they reply to this thread letting us know.

OutpostMahindra

I finally got around to working on the tractor today.
I was pulling the glow plugs to test them and I noticed the plastic + connector that plugs into the glow plug bridge bar looked weird on the inside.
It somehow melted just on the inside and was causing a very bad connection.
I soldered a new connector on and put everything back together.
She fired up just like new!
I am so relieved! šŸ˜ƒ
I just purchased a 2017 Mahindra Max 24 300 hrs, and am having starting issues with my tractor. Outside temp is ~50 *F and it will crank and put out smoke. Whitish black smoke. I put a DVM on the glow plug buss bar and had no voltage as I turned the key on, with the dash glow plug light illuminated. Then later it was 8 volts on the DVM with the key on at the glow plug buss bar and negative post of the battery. I pulled each of the 3 glow plugs, put 12 volts to them and each heated up and went hot orange after about 10 to 12 seconds. I know there are issues with over tightening the aluminum buss bar too tight. I noticed that my electrical connector to the buss bar had melted plastic blobs on the top. After reading you post, I think I have found my issue, (same as yours) to the no start issue. I also disconnected the glow plug electrical connector and ran a wire from the + of the battery to the first glow plug, that has the buss bar to the other two glow plugs. Held it on for about 10 seconds, jumped into the seat and turned the key. The tractor fired up instantly. My thoughts are I need to cut off the connector and soldier a new connector to the buss bar.

OutpostMahindra

Just verified a bad wire terminal connector to the glow plug buss bar. Clipped a lead to the terminal connector, other to the - of the battery. Turned the key on (which is where the glow plugs get voltage. No voltage, reached down and flexed the connector and the volt gauge on the Fluke meter bounces from 0 to 12 volts!.

OutpostMahindra

Cut off the original part, strip wire, tin wire, crimp a heavy duty ring terminal onto the wire. The factory design with a quick disconnect terminal can use some improvement.

glow plug wire2.jpegglow plug wire.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: