My patch o' dirt

Dougster

Old Member
Doug, I can only dig about 20' down or so, ah because that is all the deeper that my hoe will reach.:cool:
Nice to have all them nifty full-size toys to play with... and no hideous rocks or ledge to worry about!!! :thumb:
Dougster,
It is a sweet feeling.:cool: Dad had white stones on the farm he was raised on in the Panhandle. The stones popped up each time they plowed. He and his 5 siblings hauled them in a horse drawn wagon and piled them beside the barn. To this day you can spook a cotton tail and sometimes a jackrabbit beside that pile of stone.:thumb:
hugs, Brandi
Let's see: Horse drawn wagon or Big Red Beast??? :confused: I think I'd take the latter for my rock removal needs! :D
Man thats got to be something to be able to dig that deep without hit a boulder. I can't even walk across my lawn without stumbling over one. I can not remove it either because of it be ledge rock that runs for miles.
These dang New England rocks will be the death of me. :( I could get by with a cute little Kubota BX23 or M-F 2310 if it weren't for them endless, gosh-darned, New England rocks!!! :rolleyes:

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Being Dougster comes here now and then, and makes fun of me here about our humble home and property, I thought I would offer these,

1 our house sits 600 ft from the water and up high
2 using above pic, we walk 300 right then look down on our lower field
3 using neighbors pontoon boat
not a lake, it is one of many ponds that start in Putnam CT and flow due north, naturally, flowing into one another, eventually feeding Quabin reservoir that feeds greater Boston. On my side here, the water surface is 270 acres in size.
Once again, Larry chooses to be terribly modest here. You need to see this place to believe it. I describe his magnificent private estate as a "palatial recreational lakefront resort" just south of Sturbridge, MA! I believe that sums it up quite well. Together with my still-working nurse GF, we could never even begin to afford the CT property taxes he must have to pay. :eek:

And don't believe him: It is a lake! An amazingly clear and picturesque lake with mucho ongoing recreational uses. The fact that it may be connected to other bodies of water and continually flow is a big plus in my view. It has it all over a stagnant body of water. :thumb:

Dougster

olcowhand

Tha pan Dean put together works for me, and looks good to boot. Mobilus....great place ya have there!
LarryRB, 270 acres IS a lake in my book and a good sized one. Around here what you'd call a pond is something you can throw a rock to the other side.

mobilus

Brandi, they are Bradford pear trees. Ornamental. They are beautiful when they bloom...snow white and covered. They make little berry-like fruits instead of pears, and the rabbits love them when they fall in the winter. I had eight, until a windstorm got one, leaving the trunk. It sprouted out, so now I have 7 and a 1/2. And there's a big one between the house and carport.

Mark

mobilus

Brandi, here's a picture of one in bloom.

Attachments

• bpear.jpg
    bpear.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 247

xPosTech

Brandi those Bradfords are taking over Huntsville. Lots of wally worlds are lined with them. (Except for the one in Conroe, if memory serves me.)

They are pretty, and hold that shape naturally, but what's a fruit tree with no fruit? (Ask California) The only fruit tree that shouldn't have fruit is that ^%$##&* mulberry outside my back door. :angry: I keep threatening to cut it down, but it throws some wonderful morning shade all summer. It probably saves me 5-10% on my AC bill. :thumb:

If I parked my white Jimmy under it while fruiting it would look like Dan's Bush Cow. :puke1:

Mark, do they smell good when in bloom? Hmmm...I'm gettin' to old to spray fruit trees anyway. :rolleyes: It would be nice to have a back door without a footbath...:wink:

Ted

mobilus

Ted, they don't smell good, or bad.

Now, growing up in Southeast Alabama, there were plenty of odiferous trees and plants. Honeysuckle was my favorite. Dogwood was my mom's.

Bindian

Ted, they don't smell good, or bad.

Now, growing up in Southeast Alabama, there were plenty of odiferous trees and plants. Honeysuckle was my favorite. Dogwood was my mom's.
Mobilus,
We have Honeysuckle and Dogwoods down here. I don't have any Honeysuckle on my place, but I have two dogwood trees. They are all over East Texas. Honeysuckle has very nice frangance. Me, I love the smell of Cedar Trees.
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Brandi those Bradfords are taking over Huntsville. Lots of wally worlds are lined with them. (Except for the one in Conroe, if memory serves me.)

They are pretty, and hold that shape naturally, but what's a fruit tree with no fruit? (Ask California) The only fruit tree that shouldn't have fruit is that ^%$##&* mulberry outside my back door. :angry: I keep threatening to cut it down, but it throws some wonderful morning shade all summer. It probably saves me 5-10% on my AC bill. :thumb:

If I parked my white Jimmy under it while fruiting it would look like Dan's Bush Cow.

Mark, do they smell good when in bloom? Hmmm...I'm gettin' to old to spray fruit trees anyway. :rolleyes: It would be nice to have a back door without a footbath...:wink:

Ted
Ted,
Same here for Sweetgum Trees. I dig them up every chance I get. But they make wonderful large shade trees.
hugs, Brandi

mobilus

I haven't had any luck with cedars on my place...don't know why. Back where I was raised in L.A. (that's Lower Alabama), cedars and pines grow like crazy. Many a peanut field has been planted in pines in the past two decades. They are fast becoming, if not already, the cash crop of choice.

Bindian

I haven't had any luck with cedars on my place...don't know why. Back where I was raised in L.A. (that's Lower Alabama), cedars and pines grow like crazy. Many a peanut field has been planted in pines in the past two decades. They are fast becoming, if not already, the cash crop of choice.
Mobilus,
It is amazing how much moeny a large stand of healthy pines produce. About every couple of years once the cycle is started. I would love to have a stand of pine in timber exemption and a large hay pasture.:cool:
hugs, Brandi

xPosTech

Pines and cedars both require acidic soil. I've got three pines in my front yard that anybody can have for the taking. Come get'em. :smile: Needles take two or three passes to mulch.:mad2:

Ted...

and a mulberry...owner will help...free
MySmilyMug.gif
...have chipper...:tiphat:

N

Nicahawk

Nica,

I thought you'd like this one!
That's really cute & funny. If that little boy would stay with me for a couple of days I bet I could change his mind.
icon7.gif

Attachments

• Kids on Pearl.jpg
    Kids on Pearl.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 166
  • Nic and TJ on Pearl 2.jpg
    Nic and TJ on Pearl 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Bindian

Nica,

I thought you'd like this one!
When I was little, Mom and Dad took my brother and I to the zoo:cool:. A baboon kept following me from one end of his cage to the other as I tried to find Mom and Dad in the crowd. That really scared me.:hide: I also got scared by a clown on tall stilts in the shopping mall.:hide2: It took me years to get over that and warm up to clowns.:topicclosed:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Which, of course, explains (in part) how you ended up here! ;)

Dougster :starbucks:
Dougster,
Yeah, y'all sure can make me chuckle.:wink: Y'all and Tim Allen give me my daily dose of laughter.:yum::yum: Along with my kids making fun of me.:yankchain: Good medicine.:starbucks: Of course.........nothing beats Ed and Farmwithjunk giving you a hard time.:yum::yankchain::poke::yum:
hugs, Brandi:wink:

Dougster,
Yeah, y'all sure can make me chuckle.:wink: Y'all and Tim Allen give me my daily dose of laughter.:yum::yum: Along with my kids making fun of me.:yankchain: Good medicine.:starbucks: Of course.........nothing beats Ed and Farmwithjunk giving you a hard time.:yum::yankchain::poke::yum:
hugs, Brandi:wink:

Hey that's what we do best. Heck Doc gives us extra rep points every month, just for picking on the Old Member. :yum: :yum: