my RTV 900 Journey

Dgrapes59

Hi to all! Thought I would start a thread on my ole RTV 900 with a few comments, accessories I have added and probably some questions along the way.
A little history..
I purchased 10 acres about 8 years ago, was previously used to raise race horses and I believe has been a pasture it's entire life. It had been let go for a while before I purchased it. Perimeter fence and a lot of cross fences were overgrown with honeysuckle and assorted trash trees and bushes. Started cleaning them up, primarily using a Honda 450 atv and trailer.
I soon realized I needed something better and after some research I had my eye out for a RTV 900. Was hopeful I could find a decent used one that I could afford. After passing on many well used, overpriced ones I found one that looked like what I wanted.
It was a 2006 with 230 hours, looked great and everything seemed to work properly expect the fuel gauge. Price was less than most I had seen that had way more hours and were beat up. Was a 2 hour trip, went to see it on a Sunday, didn't bring my trailer as I didn't expect the seller to take a check. After seeing it and agreeing to a price, he asked why I didn't bring a trailer.... Said he would take a check! 2 hours home, 2 hours back, then 6 hours back home again (wreck on the interstate, totally shut down for hours). Have had it for 3 1/2 years now and still elated about the purchase!
We have since rebuilt the old horse barn, built a new house and 40 X 60 pole barn on the property and I used the RTV all the time! I think it has about 450 hours now and the only maintenance I've done to it is to change fluids and filters, oh, and the fuel gauge!
I have filled the bed with honeysuckle, fire wood, rocks, dirt, junk, you name it, never let me down! Dump bed was wonderful for hauling cut honeysuckle, load it crazy high then dump it near my burn area, push in a pile with the neighbors loader tractor. Probably had over 50 loads of brush alone.
If anyone is still reading I will add a picture then follow up with some additional posts with the few little upgrades I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20170717_195013124_HDR_1.jpg
    IMG_20170717_195013124_HDR_1.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 12

Dgrapes59

With all the honeysuckle and brush I was hauling I was afraid I would damage something where the gap is above the bed, before the guard starts. I made a panel that filled that gap. Couple 1" square tubing, welded on some tabs. Attached a piece of poplar wood with some stainless fasteners. A little paint and slid in the stake pockets, problem solved!

Attachments

• 20201024_011443.jpg
    20201024_011443.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20170729_134252297_copy_800x450_copy_800x450.jpg
    IMG_20170729_134252297_copy_800x450_copy_800x450.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 10

Dgrapes59

I also added a SMV sign and a rear view mirror (amazon). Still think I want some side mirrors, just not sure what. Have read mixed reviews on them.
I wanted to put in a radio to listen to while working but was concerned about battery drain. My son solved that with a Bluetooth speaker! I made a bracket to mount it inside the cab. A charge lasts as long as I work at a time, paired with my phone and Pandora and I'm set! It's even Kubota colors!

Attachments

• 20191230_145402.jpg
    20191230_145402.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 7

Dgrapes59

Ok, the next thing to address was the tools I use a lot. Loppers, always using and either have to stuff in the bed with what I'm trimming or lay in the floorboard. Made a caddy to mount on the front winch mount. Also has a tray for a chain and a place for an extra receiver hitch.
Next, where to put some hand tools, tie downs, reciprocating saw/blades, etc. Under seat storage works for some, but not all.
I made a shelf for under the hood, attached with some brackets. Attached a small tote and brackets to strap a tool box down. Another problem solved. Guess you have figured out now I am "thrifty"!

Attachments

• 20201024_010824.jpg
    20201024_010824.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200826_203438.jpg
    20200826_203438.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 14

Dgrapes59

I have had Line X in my last 3 trucks and really love it. I wanted to add to my RTV bed for added protection. Problem with doing it to a "used" vehicle, not recommended unless you disassemble everything, prep and paint as new. I decided to pass on the Line X but still felt I needed something in the bed. I've hauled quite a lot of big flat rocks. I went the stall mat route for now. Also regular dousing with Fluid Film. It is ribbed on the bottom so I think that helps some with venting moisture out. It's notched in the corners where the stake pockets are so it stays in place when dumping.
I learned a little trick to cutting a stall mats. Was trying to figure out how to effectively cut it to size... Saber saw? Circular saw with blade backwards? Wife said "Google it"! Well, utility knife and a straight edge! New blade, score it, few deeper cuts and done! Simple and very easy, works great!
Ok, I think that's it for now, if anyone is still reading. It's been a fun journey so far and I'm really impressed with the Kubota quality! I added a Kubota ZD25 to the barn last summer and love it as well! Now have my sights on a gently used L33 or L39 loader tractor!