Need new tires

glennm

Hi:
I know there are many tire threads here but I will ask anyway. I have an RTV900 that needs new tires, we use it in the bush a lot so a lugged tire is preferred. The current size on the RTV are 25/11/12 on the rear and 25/10/12 on the front. I am wondering about increasing the size to 26? Could I do that with no issues and do I need narrower tires on the front. I see the local supplier has tires in stock 26/9 and 26/11. Is there any advantage to going up to the 26?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I can think of DISadvantages…. reduced braking capability…and incorrect mileage and speed indications…. less fender and steering clearances…greater roll-over risks.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I put 26x11x12 tires on my x1100c without any issues. The increased diameter sped things up just enough and the ride is better. On the stock steel rims

FTG-05

Hi:
I know there are many tire threads here but I will ask anyway. I have an RTV900 that needs new tires, we use it in the bush a lot so a lugged tire is preferred. The current size on the RTV are 25/11/12 on the rear and 25/10/12 on the front. I am wondering about increasing the size to 26? Could I do that with no issues and do I need narrower tires on the front. I see the local supplier has tires in stock 26/9 and 26/11. Is there any advantage to going up to the 26?
There is a HUGE problem with going from the 25" tires to 26" tires on your RTV:

It's going to make it look great!

25" Craptyles on the right, 26" ITP Blackwater Evolutions on the left:

FSJfsMO.jpg

On the hoof:

7NXWcB6.jpg

Those same ITP's are now on my RTV-XG850. This is a pic before running on asphalt wore the front tires almost down to the cord:

ECNRYpx.jpg

When I absolutely have to replace the ITPs, I'm going to replace them with 27" Tusk Terrabytes.

glennm

D
There is a HUGE problem with going from the 25" tires to 26" tires on your RTV:

It's going to make it look great!

25" Craptyles on the right, 26" ITP Blackwater Evolutions on the left:

FSJfsMO.jpg

On the hoof:

7NXWcB6.jpg

Those same ITP's are now on my RTV-XG850. This is a pic before running on asphalt wore the front tires almost down to the cord:

ECNRYpx.jpg

When I absolutely have to replace the ITPs, I'm going to replace them with 27" Tusk Terrabytes.
do you think 26 / 11 / 12 backwaters would be good for my machine? Enough clearance, etc. I love the look of the 26 on yours

FTG-05

The 2nd pic above is a RTV-900. I can't imagine another -900 model year would be all that different. 25" >>> 26" is only a 1/2" difference. A much bigger difference is old vs. new tires - see first pic above.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I put 26x11x12 tires on my x1100c without any issues. The increased diameter sped things up just enough and the ride is better. On the stock steel rims
I did the same thing (26x11x12) all the way around on my 1120D. The radials have a much higher ply rating and ride better. (Blackwater Evolutions). We traverse our fields through a township gravel road so I don't think it hurts the tread. But I would avoid frequent blacktop use.

Smilingreen

I do a lot of pavement riding, but also woods/field/creek mud also. The stock tires I got on my 1100C are wearing fairly fast with a little over 500 miles on them. The Tusk Terrabytes look interesting. It would seem they would give a bit quieter ride on hard surfaces, but yet would be aggressive enough for offroad mud we have here. We have Tennessee clay mixed with limestone chunks. Hard as pavement when dry, slicker than snot on a glass doorknob when wet.

Smilingreen

This is my rear tires with a little over 500 miles.

IMG_0618.JPG

This is my front tires.

IMG_0623.JPG

Both rear tires.

IMG_0625.JPG

The stock 440 MAG Offroad tires are cheap, I guess. I probably paid a premium through the dealer. I would like to go up to a 26" for the next set. All 4 tires are currently 25x10x12. I guess they should fit.

Smilingreen

I did the same thing (26x11x12) all the way around on my 1120D. The radials have a much higher ply rating and ride better. (Blackwater Evolutions). We traverse our fields through a township gravel road so I don't think it hurts the tread. But I would avoid frequent blacktop use.
So 26x11x12 tires fit ok on the stock rims?

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I went with 27/9/12 on front and 27/11/12 on back. blackwater evolutions on my 1100c no rubbing issues. Pics at link below.
When I replace these I will go with same size front and rear. 27/11/12.

Smilingreen

I am not replacing mine yet, as I still have plenty of tread left. I just like get all my ducks in a row and to plan years ahead....you know, so when the time does come to replace the tires, the manufacture will have quit making that model I spec'd out and I'll have to do all that research all over again......:hammer: You would think after 61 years, I would quit doing that......